Gatsby: Then and Now... And Now

02-19-2020 11:33 AM
Labels (1)
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
3 0 1,884

As a new member of the Education team (Hi! You can read my intro below), I've been exploring GeoInquiries. Going through the Gatsby one, I thought it might be fun to look at the same data in a new way. Instead of just using a web map opened in Map Viewer, what if I put it into a simple app?

Using Web AppBuilder, here's what I made: Gatsby - Then and Now app 

Mostly, I wanted to be able to more clearly look at the differences between the historical and current landscapes of Long Island, and this app has a swipe tool ( on the map) to visually compare them. I also liked that I could keep the interface simple and focused on the info and tasks in the GeoInquiry. Let me know what you think, and feel free to use this app as you'd like, the same as the GeoInquiries map.

A bit about me

As I mentioned above, I'm new to the Education team, but I'm not new to Esri. I've been here for about 17 years. Prior to this I was on the field apps development team and focused on documentation, best practices, and generally supporting users. I started exploring GIS with my children and in their kinder through second-grade classrooms. As my passion for how GIS could be used in the classroom grew, I met the wonderful folks on the education team and decided to throw in my lot with them. I'm excited to share my passion with teachers and all of you here, and I can't wait to see more GIS success in K-12 classrooms. 

About the Author
Our kids need GIS in their problem-solving toolboxes. I'm working to get digital maps into each K-12 classroom and the hands of each child. A long-time Esri employee, I've previously worked on Esri's mobile apps, focused on documentation and best practices. Out of the office I'm a runner often found on the trails or chasing my children.