Select to view content in your preferred language

Free training course introduces teachers to maps by using MapMaker

08-09-2024 01:17 PM
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
4 0 1,225

If you are reading this blog, you likely already understand the value maps have in your classroom. But do you have a colleague you'd also like to see using maps in their classroom? Perhaps a teacher you know is inspired by what you do, but is unfamiliar with maps and unsure where to start.

Share the updated (and free) Use a map for classroom instruction Esri Academy class with them to jumpstart their comfort with digital maps in the classroom. The course helps teachers understand the value of digital maps in the classroom, get experience with using maps, develop strategies for incorporating a map into a lesson, and get comfortable discussing a map in their classroom.

This week the course was updated and it now uses MapMaker to provide experience working with digital maps. Teachers now come away from the course knowing how to use maps and with familiarity with a collection of maps that are designed for K-12 audiences. 

Who are you going to get started on their mapping journey?

Keep in mind the course is not a course on MapMaker - the goal isn't teaching how to use the app. Instead, the course provides a footing for teachers who'd like to use digital maps with their students but are unsure how to start.

2024-08-09-UseDigitalMapsInTheClassroomUpdate.png

About the Author
Our kids need GIS in their problem-solving toolboxes. I'm working to get digital maps into each K-12 classroom and the hands of each child. A long-time Esri employee, I've previously worked on Esri's mobile apps, focused on documentation and best practices. Out of the office I'm a runner often found on the trails or chasing my children.