Select to view content in your preferred language

Behind the scenes: Making the "Mapping Favorite Color" project

03-21-2022 06:12 PM
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
0 0 634

crayons-879974-50percent.jpg

Wow, has it already been 2 years since I made the Mapping Favorite Color project? What started as a way to show my then 4- and 7-year-olds what I do became a great resource for introducing GIS and data collection to many people. To date, over 1400 people have contributed points!

After I show it, people naturally want to add points and poke at the data. But the next question I get is "How did you make this? How can I make one like it?" I love seeing the thoughts of what teachers might want to collect and map with their classes, and I've finally shared the steps I used in making that project: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/ca956903ac244b7fb7b4d985c3d8f4e4 

Take a look, and let me know what you think. 

About the Author
Our kids need GIS in their problem-solving toolboxes. I'm working to get digital maps into each K-12 classroom and the hands of each child. A long-time Esri employee, I've previously worked on Esri's mobile apps, focused on documentation and best practices. Out of the office I'm a runner often found on the trails or chasing my children.