Additional resources shared at Closing and Social Hour at Esri Imagery and Remote Sensing Educators Summit

04-30-2021 02:12 PM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
0 0 1,179

My colleague recently shared this list of resources for working groups that convened at the Esri Imagery and Remote Sensing Educators ... in April 2021.  In the spirit of such sharing, I would like to point people to the story map that I created for the Day 1 closing networking and social session in the hopes that it will be useful to the community.

The story map contains quizzes, including an imagery quiz and a GIS crossword quiz, that you can use in your own classrooms as fun and interesting ways of helping students get excited about geotechnologies and understanding the world.  It even includes some song lyrics and chords that I have modified to suit the geographic themes discussed at the conference, as well as geography, Earth, science, and GIS related books, web mapping applications, and favorite maps.  

rsimageryquiz.JPG

How did you do on the quiz?  The answers are included but ... no peeking!

rsimagerycrossword.JPG

The story map also includes links to resources to teach about where to find spatial data, how to assess its quality, and how to teach about surrounding societal issues such as ethics, crowdsourcing, location privacy, and copyright. 

How did you do on the GIS crossword puzzle?

rsimagerydoorstop.JPGPhoto I took of a Mac computer now being used as a doorstop in a high school.  Read the story map to determine why I included this photo!

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.