A quick Wayback tip for educators

2 weeks ago
Esri Regular Contributor
0 2 176

One of my favorite ArcGIS Living Atlas apps - World Imagery Wayback - was just updated with a new swipe mode. This makes it really easy to use the Wayback archives and to look at change over time. Another great feature about swipe mode is that if you click share while in swipe mode, the chosen layers and extent are captured. So you can do some interesting things sharing change over time. For example:

Learn more about the changes to Wayback by checking out Do the Wayback swipe.

2 Comments
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks Bern!  The Wayback imagery is one of my top 5 favorite resources of all time and I use it in most of my presentations. Thanks for this great news!

--Joseph Kerski

Esri Frequent Contributor

I created a video here:  https://youtu.be/R_Fv-O7PSbU  that quickly illustrates what Bern described.  Really amazing what you can do with the Wayback imagery and the swipe tool now!   Coastal and river processes, urbanizations, land cover change, volcanism, glacial advance and retreat, and much more.  Try it!

--Joseph Kerski 

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.