Select to view content in your preferred language

Error HRESULT E_FAIL while loading a shape file

09-02-2015 03:00 AM
DavidAlvaro
New Contributor

First of all I'm new on Arcgis so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I'm trying to load a simple shapefile with three points creating a triangle:

{"Coordinate":0,"longitude":37.665884,"latitude":-5.5233364},

{"Coordinate":1,"longitude":37.666139,"latitude":-5.5217056},

{"Coordinate":2,"longitude":37.666886,"latitude":-5.5220704},

{"Coordinate":3,"longitude":37.665884,"latitude":-5.5233364}

I have generated from PHP a shapefile with the previous information and also created a .prj, .dbf, .shx and add them in a zip file.

When I try to use the option load a layer from a file and upload the zip file attached, I receive the following error (sorry it is in spanish)

No se puede importar este shapefile. (Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.)

I've tried to look at the forum and find some information about this error, but it seems that is a general error.

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong? I can use other tools to open the shape file (if needed i will tell you the name of the other product), but not on arcgis.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try renaming all the components of shapefile. Start the name with an alphabet (a-z).

I opened your data on ArcMap. Exported the data. The new data had some optional files as well. Please check.

Think Location
0 Kudos
DavidAlvaro
New Contributor

Thank you for your fast answer Jayanta.

I've tried it but the starting character seems not to be the problem. I still receive the same error message.

For the rest of the new files, I'll have to see how I can create them because most of them are encoded.

If you have any other idea, please tell me.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Which Esri product are you using?

Do you have ArcGIS for Desktop license?

Else, you could download a trial of the same from ArcGIS Platform | Free Trial

Once installed and authorized, you can use Feature class to feature class to convert your 4-file shapefile to a 7-file shapefile (The one I attached).

Feature Class To Feature Class—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Think Location
0 Kudos
DavidAlvaro
New Contributor

I'm using the web trial version. We have some geographic information on our platform and are making some tests to know if we are able to generate shape files from scratch and integrate it.

We have seen that several GIS applications are able to open the files generated, but not arcgis. We cannot make use of the feature of conversion shape files from 4 to 7 files. I just wonder which is the problem with the files I have created and if I'm able to find any log to get more accurate information of the error.

0 Kudos