ArcMap Desktop crashes when I open a certain layer from ArcGIS Online

04-03-2018 05:59 PM
CoraColeman
New Contributor III

I am very confused because it is only with a certain layer. When I try to open this particular feature layer in Desktop ArcMap will crash. This feature layer has customized symbology, could it be because of this?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

as in layer... do you mean an *.lyr file.  If so, then is is highly likely

0 Kudos
CoraColeman
New Contributor III

I mean this (a feature layer) -- it will not open in desktop. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

opens in the map viewer...

totallllly killed 10.6 while it was opening.  The quickest demise I have encountered

Nice symbols though in the map viewer.

I will have to defer to those that web layers

CoraColeman
New Contributor III

Thank you, what do you mean about defer to those web layers? I would like to be able to view this layer in ArcMap Desktop.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

... defer to those (that do) web layers... I assumed that it had been packaged for use on the web... hence it worked in the viewer.

If it were a *.lyr file, then I presume it would have been packaged with its reference data...otherwise, I would have expected a zipped shapefile or a featureclass in a geodatabase. not something that opens up where it did. 

CoraColeman
New Contributor III

Okay, thank you for explaining. Is there any way to download it and open it in ArcMap Desktop? Other feature layers I created on ArcGIS Online will open in Desktop 😕 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is some Rest thing... check out the associated page https://services8.arcgis.com/UT5WPtsyyxzDrV2P/ArcGIS/rest/services/GNP_gdb/FeatureServer/0

again, I don't do web stuff, so maybe someone else will weigh in, or contact the author or leave a comment

0 Kudos
CoraColeman
New Contributor III

Okay, yeah I hosted the feature layer with the original data.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Do you have access to ArcGIS Pro? It has no problem in reading the layer: