???Version view??? for tables\layers,

Jump to solution
04-08-2014 02:49 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Jamal432@gmail.com

???Version view??? for tables\layers,

I couldn???t figure out how particular tables\layers are given the ???Version view??? property while others don???t have it

For example, in the screenshot below, the ???project??? table has this property

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32904[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]32905[/ATTACH]

In return, the ???companies??? table doesn???t have it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32906[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]32907[/ATTACH]

Form where this property (versions view) is set?

Thank you

Best

Jamal
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColinZwicker
Esri Contributor
Jamal,

Upon further review I think my original idea (DBO user related) was incorrect.

For the dataset that is failing, does it contain any user defined fields?

Can you try adding a field to the table before you register it as versioned?
E.g., the field set would contain ObjectID and myTextField

The view is correctly created for me when using a DBO mapped user if the table has more fields that just the default ObjectID field (a questionably useful table schema).

Thanks,
Colin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
32 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Hi Jamal, versioned views used to be called multiversion views.  Versioned views are automatically created for datasets that are registered as versioned using ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 or higher.  If you were using ArcGIS prior to 10.1, you would have needed to manually create the multiversion views using the ArcSDE command line tools.  In your example, I see that some data registered as versioned have versioned views and some data do not based on your screenshots.  Was this geodatabase upgraded from a pre-10.1 release?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jamal, versioned views used to be called multiversion views.  Versioned views are automatically created for datasets that are registered as versioned using ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 or higher.  If you were using ArcGIS prior to 10.1, you would have needed to manually create the multiversion views using the ArcSDE command line tools.  In your example, I see that some data registered as versioned have versioned views and some data do not based on your screenshots.  Was this geodatabase upgraded from a pre-10.1 release?

Thanks William.

This is what confusing me the most. I�??m using ArcGIS 10.2.

As I create new table and this table is registered as version then the version view is not AUTOMATICALLY created

Scenario (ArcGIS 10.2):

�?� the �??H�?� table is create in the Q.mdf database.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32908[/ATTACH]

�?� This table is registered as version.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32909[/ATTACH]

�?� Nevertheless, the version view is NOT automatically created

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32910[/ATTACH]

What might be the issue here?
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Perhaps this article about Enabling SQL Access (for 10.2) will explain some possible reasons for what you're seeing...

Version views are also automatically created when you enable archiving on nonversioned datasets beginning with ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.  Additionally, there are situations when a version view will not exist:

• You have tables or feature classes that were registered as versioned prior to ArcGIS 10.1 and did not manually create a versioned view using the sdetable �??o create_mv_view command.

• You registered a table or feature class as versioned using ArcGIS 10.1 or a later release, but you did not have the privileges necessary to create a view in the database.

• You enabled archiving on a nonversioned table or feature class, but you did not have the privileges necessary to create a view in the database.

• The version view was deleted mistakenly using SQL or database management system tools.
For these situations, you can Enable SQL Access on those specific datasets from ArcGIS for Desktop.  Could any of these be the possible cause in your case?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Perhaps this article about Enabling SQL Access (for 10.2) will explain some possible reasons for what you're seeing...

Version views are also automatically created when you enable archiving on nonversioned datasets beginning with ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.  Additionally, there are situations when a version view will not exist:

• You have tables or feature classes that were registered as versioned prior to ArcGIS 10.1 and did not manually create a versioned view using the sdetable �??o create_mv_view command.

• You registered a table or feature class as versioned using ArcGIS 10.1 or a later release, but you did not have the privileges necessary to create a view in the database.

• You enabled archiving on a nonversioned table or feature class, but you did not have the privileges necessary to create a view in the database.

• The version view was deleted mistakenly using SQL or database management system tools.
For these situations, you can Enable SQL Access on those specific datasets from ArcGIS for Desktop.  Could any of these be the possible cause in your case?

Thank you very much William for the prompt help,

None of the cases that you have provided can be applied to my issue.

Could you please try it in your database? In case you create a table in the SQL enterprise database, does the version view is created automatically?

I tried to do the same on the ArcGIS 10.2.1 but fails to create �??versions view�?�. In the screenshot below, I have created the �??k�?� table using the ArcGIS 10.2.1 and everything is enabled, nevertheless, the version view is not created.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32913[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]32914[/ATTACH]

Which tools\settings can be used to automatically create �??version view�?� for a particular table\layer?
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
I tried this workflow in SQL Server Express 2012 and in Oracle 11g R2 (11.2.0.2) using a 10.2 client:

1. Create table called TEST

2. Register table TEST as versioned, then enable Archiving

3. Check in RDBMS to see if TEST_EVW was created

4. Create feature class called TEST1

5. Register feature class TEST1 as versioned, then enable Archiving

6. Check in RDBMS to see if TEST1_EVW was created

In the case of SQL Server Express, I observed that step 3 did not show that a version view of the TEST table was created (either before or after Archiving was enabled).  However, step 6 did yield a version view of the TEST1 feature class which got created upon registering it as versioned. 

In the case of Oracle, I observed that both step 3 and step 6 yielded version views as expected based upon how Esri's documentation is written. 

Therefore, I can only conclude that in SQL Server the automatic creation does not work for tables upon registration as versioned, but it does work for feature classes.  This could potentially be a bug.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I tried this workflow in SQL Server Express 2008 R2 and in Oracle 11g R2 (11.2.0.2) using a 10.2 client:

1. Create table called TEST

2. Register table TEST as versioned, then enable Archiving

3. Check in RDBMS to see if TEST_EVW was created

4. Create feature class called TEST1

5. Register feature class TEST1 as versioned, then enable Archiving

6. Check in RDBMS to see if TEST1_EVW was created

In the case of SQL Server Express, I observed that step 3 did not show that a version view of the TEST table was created (either before or after Archiving was enabled).  However, step 6 did yield a version view of the TEST1 feature class which got created upon registering it as versioned. 

In the case of Oracle, I observed that both step 3 and step 6 yielded version views as expected based upon how Esri's documentation is written. 

Therefore, I can only conclude that in SQL Server the automatic creation does not work for tables upon registration as versioned, but it does work for feature classes.  This could potentially be a bug.

Thanks William,

I�??m not sure if ESRI experts may join this thread to have their feedback regarding this issue. What is strange is that this issue still appears even in 10.2.1

By the way, is there a way to enable this version view from the �??SQL Server Management Studio�?�?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32921[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: crafty762

As far as I know, the way to create the version view manually is to use the Enable SQL Access tool when right clicking the object class.  You might be able to extract the SQL for an existing version view, modify its contents to fit the object class you desire, and run it in SQL Server Studio Manager but I don't know what else under the hood might be required by ArcSDE.  I think doing something like that would be at your own risk🙂

EDIT: You could also try the sdetable �??o create_mv_view command using the 10.2.x version of the ArcSDE command line tools.  I'm not sure if it will create an _EVW or an _VW object though.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

As far as I know, the way to create the version view manually is to use the Enable SQL Access tool when right clicking the object class.  You might be able to extract the SQL for an existing version view, modify its contents to fit the object class you desire, and run it in SQL Server Studio Manager but I don't know what else under the hood might be required by ArcSDE.  I think doing something like that would be at your own risk🙂

EDIT: You could also try the sdetable �??o create_mv_view command using the 10.2.x version of the ArcSDE command line tools.  I'm not sure if it will create an _EVW or an _VW object though.

Very much appreciated William

I couldn�??t find the �??Enable SQL Access�?� tool neither by clicking the table\layer from the ArcGIS Desktop not from the SQL Server Management Studio�?�?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32923[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]32924[/ATTACH]

How to approach this command?
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
The Enable SQL Access command shows up in the first screenshot of the two you just recently posted.  It appears in the 10.2+ versions of ArcGIS for Desktop.
0 Kudos