Share: how are you using contingent values?

07-16-2019 08:13 AM
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Introduced with ArcGIS Pro 2.3, contingent values provide new capabilities to create dependencies between fields with domains.  In a recent blog we discussed a few ways contingent values could help improve your data design and editing workflows.  We're curious to know if and how you are using them, and in what ways they've improved your workflows.

17 Replies
MarcGraham2
Occasional Contributor III

This looks useful.  It will be more useful when it is available in Collector, ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise.

BobWheeler
Occasional Contributor

Did I miss where they stated it won't work with Collector?  What about Web Appbuilder?  Is this functionality only available within Pro 2.x?

0 Kudos
MarcGraham2
Occasional Contributor III

At the bottom of the linked blog post in the “on the horizons” section:

Support for contingent values in Runtime – We plan to expose contingent values through Runtime in a future release so that Runtime clients can read and open datasets with contingent values and expose them, paving the way for expanded usage in editor apps beyond ArcGIS Pro.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It either doesn't work (broken) w/ AGOL or it is not to be used w/ Collector (AGOL) - either way wish something would be said...

I asked about this months ago - no response...crickets...

0 Kudos
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Hi Bob,

As Marc mentioned above:  currently, editing contingent values is only supported in ArcGIS Pro.  The Runtime work to support these in other clients such as Collector is planned for a future release.

JoshuaVan_Buskirk2
New Contributor II

So what is the difference between this a sub-types? I am still using ArcMap and I rarely use sub-types, but this seems like the same thing. 

JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Hi Joshua,

A similar question was posed over in ArcGIS Pro which I would recommend checking out.  While subtypes aren't a requirement for using contingent values, in the blog,  I used the example of speed limit values to illustrate how contingent values could be used to provide additional logic to constrain the available picklist values in the domain by subtype.  Contingent values also have the added benefit of providing a level of data validation to ensure errant values aren't entered into the database.

Like subtypes, contingent values allow for abstraction at the domain level; however, contingent values take this abstraction much further by restricting the options available within the picklist.

Envision a scenario where you have a feature class of city streets categorized using three subtypes for local, collector, and arterial streets.  The subtype is valuable to provide one level of abstraction and define different default values for speed limit (such as 25 miles per hour for local streets); however, there is nothing that would prevent an editor from choosing a value other than the default (perhaps setting this to 70 miles per hour). While other values may be technically allowed within the domain, they would be invalid in actual usage for this road type.  Applying contingent values in this scenario improves upon the logic to constrain the options available for the subtype’s speed limit and prevent edits such as this from occurring.  Additionally, validation is present during data entry to alert the editor to the presence of invalid values, which highlights impacted fields and disables the option to save.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

For one - they both do not work w/ AGOL...

0 Kudos
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the feedback.  We are all excited about the possibility of leveraging contingent values within Collector and other Runtime clients in a future release.  Please add your voice to this Idea to bring support for contingent values to ArcGIS Online.