Share: how are you using contingent values?

07-16-2019 08:13 AM
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Introduced with ArcGIS Pro 2.3, contingent values provide new capabilities to create dependencies between fields with domains.  In a recent blog we discussed a few ways contingent values could help improve your data design and editing workflows.  We're curious to know if and how you are using them, and in what ways they've improved your workflows.

17 Replies
RickWheeler1
New Contributor II

When you state " The subtype is valuable to provide one level of abstraction and define different default values for speed limit (such as 25 miles per hour for local streets); however, there is nothing that would prevent an editor from choosing a value other than the default (perhaps setting this to 70 miles per hour)."

How is this different than applying a domain to a subtype?  In this example you could just use 2 domains one for each subtype.  The editor would then be restricted to 25 miles per hour for the local street subtype.

0 Kudos
SharaHollis
Esri Contributor

What is the plan for exposing Contingent Values in the Pro SDK?

0 Kudos
ShelleySchulte1
New Contributor III

Are contingent values supported in Enterprise Portal applications?  I can get my attribute rule to function but not my contingent values.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
RachelBeard
New Contributor II

I am looking forward to contingent values and see it as a way to solve some of the editing complaints that I hear and hope to use the functionality as a carrot to move users to ArcPro but it has to not KILL my feature classes in ArcMap.

I have a series of templates that I build for users. These templates have ArcMap 10.7 and ArcPro 2.4 options depending on the users preference. Both applications point to the same project file geodatabase. I built the contingencies and did some tests edits. LOVE the results and look forward to the rumored advancements in the functionality. Unfortunately, when I open ArcMap the feature classes that have contingent values now have red exclamation marks and when I try to repair the data sources i get the attached message. I found the incompatibility note hidden in the documentation : Work with contingent values—Geodatabases | Documentation . Is there a plan to allow the formatting of contingent values for use in Pro that does not kill the feature classes' accessibility in ArcMap?    

0 Kudos
KariBuckvold1
New Contributor

I'm having a difficult time just getting it to work on the desktop, using version ArcGIS PRO 2.5.1.  My issue is I will add a list of contingent values in the design/contingent values view and the list will disappear when I go to save. Even building a really simple sample won't save.  Super frustrated because this seems like a really cool functionality.

0 Kudos
acarmody
New Contributor III

Hi Jonathan DeRose,

Contingent values are a data validator's dream!

Hopefully the dream continues and they will be supported on ESRI's enterprise and online platforms.

I'm currently using them for wildlife classification.

Are there any geoprocessing tools/field calculations or python functions available to bulk auto-populate attributes with configured contingent values?
Say I append wildlife data from one feature class that has species common name, into my wildlife feature class that is configured with contingent values. The common name copies over, but the scientific name, family and class fields are blank. Is it possible to update these without going through each individual feature and manually editing it?
Appreciate your help, cheers!

0 Kudos
GIS_Solutions
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @JonDeRose 

Is there any restriction with the data type while defining the contingent value?
I could not create Contingent value with text domain.
If there is a technical article on the requirements for defining a Contingent value, can you reference it?

Im using ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3

0 Kudos
luckachi
Occasional Contributor II

Is there any update on if we will see the auto-populate functionality in AGO / Javscript API like we see in Field Maps? I've set up subtypes with contingent values and it would be great to be able to have the fields be automatically populated when an option is selected versus the recommended list.

0 Kudos