Sending a large gis data through an email suggest ?

03-15-2017 09:45 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

So I have been thinking about this for some time this morning about how to send someone with a large GIS data.

I have googled on that topic but I was wonder if this would work. In the past, someone from the military base sent me a file geodatabase and then change the extension from .gdb to something else like .xxx or whatever. So, when I got it and then I change it back to .gdb back.

So if you have a really large GIS data and you need to send it to someone... What would you do ?

My thought was is to pull that large GIS data and open in ArcMap and then create it into Map package and send it to some through an email.

1. Will that work if the map package compressed and make it through the email system ? What if the map package has  

increase the file size ?

2. Are there any pros or cons when you use it and send it to someone ?

3. Are there others that can I use other than Map package ? I know about ftp, zip, 7zip and upload and download through           such as dropbox, or some other cloud storage to share with. I am aware about AGOL that too.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

dropbox onedrive ... any of those, and upload a zip making sure that relative paths are set to the project and the data files/folders/gdb's are appropriately arranged.  never failed so far, but it depends on the competence of the users on the receiving end and the compiling end

Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

Our work email server has a data cap limit which is very small (uggh) so what we do is host the data in the cloud for a set amount of time give the download link to client and then remove it from the cloud once they have it. 

format doesnt matter, its usually whatever the client wants 

0 Kudos
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

In the past I have exported whole Geodatabases to xml right from catalog and have had pretty good results.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I've done what Dan (Dan_Patterson) suggests; create a dropbox and share it with those who you want to share the data with.  Lately I've gone the xml route that Christopher (cmcclain‌) suggests.  Either way it beats the heck out of waiting for your IS guys to set up an FTP site for you or Heaven forbid, increase the email attachment limit.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DhowalDalal2
New Contributor III

Uploading it to a file host like Dropbox or Google Drive is the best idea. But , if you really must send it via an email, maybe consider splitting the ZIP file into parts based on your email attachment limit.

How to Split Large File Using 7-Zip - Linglom.com  

0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

If only IT spooks (cause they never there when you need em) would grant admin privileges so I dont need them to install 3rd party tools 

0 Kudos
DhowalDalal2
New Contributor III

You should also be able to do it with winzip or winrar if you already have those installed.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I've used 7-zip to make backup and it is very good to have.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

progis99‌, I assume you are asking for work and not personal reasons.  If so, I encourage you to reach out within your organization to get suggestions that are appropriate within the enterprise.  I can say for certain that DropBox and Google Drive are not approved solutions for the organization you work for, but there are similar options available to you.

0 Kudos