SDE with multiple schema (geodatabase) issue

06-09-2014 07:28 AM
WilsonLee
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

We are having issue setting up SDE with multiple schema (geodatabase)

Here's the situation:
We have 2 SDE oracle instances TEST and PROD
For each instance, there are multiple geodatabase/schema.

For the TEST SDE.
We have AA, BB and CC schema
When I connect as AA user with BB schema selected. I don�??t see any �??FEATURE DATASET�?� in ArcCatalog
(please note, BB didn�??t give any permission to AA to �??select�?�, �??view�?��?�any dataset that BB created)

For the PROD SDE.
We have AA, BB and CC schema
When I connect as AA user with BB schema selected. I can see all the �??FEATURE DATASET�?� (just the FEATURE DATASET name but not its content that BB created
(please note, BB didn�??t give any permission to AA to �??select�?�, �??view�?��?�any dataset)

We would like the result of TEST SDE, but not PROD

Both PROD and TEST sde have the same setup.
We are using ArcGIS 10.1, Oracle 11.2.0.3 64-bit

Please help.

thanks a lot : )
WL
0 Kudos
2 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
The way it works in your production instance is the way it's supposed to work
(any user can see the existence of a FDS, but can only see the contents if they
have at least SELECT access on all the feature classes within the FDS).

It seems as if your test instance is corrupted in some fashion.

- V
0 Kudos
ShawnThorne
Esri Contributor
One possible explanation for this behavior in the TEST instance is if you have a User-Schema Geodatabase and the AA user loaded the Feature Dataset into the User-Schema Geodatabase, but BB and CC users are both connecting to the Master (SDE) Geodatabase, so they wont see the Feature Datasets. 

And in the PROD instance, the AA user loaded the Feature Dataset into the Master (SDE) Geodatabase, and both the BB & CC are also connected to the same Master (SDE) Geodatabase, so they would see the Feature Datasets.  As Vince pointed out, you will see the Feature Datasets appear but their contents are not viewable unless the owner has granted privileges to the user to see them.

Here's a link to better explain : Multiple geodatabases in Oracle

Another reason for this behavior, is if you were using ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.x, and the box is checked under ArcCatalog > Customize > ArcCatalog Options ... > General Tab > "List only objects owned by the connecting user with enterprise geodatabases" checkbox.  Only the objects owned by the connecting user would be displayed, regardless if other users have granted them privileges to see the data.

Hope this helps.

-Shawn
0 Kudos