project to UTM 16n deletes records from point shapefile

Jump to solution
06-23-2016 12:49 PM
PeterSchlesinger
New Contributor II

I have a simple 3 record file of country capitals that I created with Notepad++ text editor. I imported it into ArcMap 10.3.1 on Win 10 Pro (fully updated), using File, AddXY.

I did File, Data, Export to create a shapefile. I set a projection of GCS_WGS_1984. The imported file table has the following fields (see attached PNG file):  FID, Shape, Field1, Field2, Field3

However, now when I try to project the file from Geographic to UTM16n the resulting projected file is missing the first two records. No records are selected in the original file before the reprojection. I have tried this multiple times, restarted ArcMap, rebooted the computer, and now I am crying for help. A PNG of my tables is attached for proof of this annoyance. Why is this happening and how can I make my ArcGIS return to "normal"?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterSchlesinger
New Contributor II

If at first you don't succeed, try try again... I tried and tried. I created the file in TerrSet and it worked fine there, but even the shapefile ported from TerrSet in ArcMap would fail on projection. So I started looking at other responses to other questions. And I came upon one where someone had a failed mxd file. And for a lark, I threw away my long in use current mxd file and tried a new one. It worked just fine. So something in the mxd file must have been causing those records to be selected when I was projecting. All is well now. I will reopen the files from the other mxd carefully and start again. Thanks for your assistance.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the coordinates look right, the only thing I can think of is that you may have had a record selected when you did the reprojection and not noticed it.  Try it again, but make sure there are no selected records when doing so... many have claimed that they didnt have a selection only to find out that they did.

PS, you did make X the longitude and Y the latitude and not go by the default?  just checking

0 Kudos
PeterSchlesinger
New Contributor II

I appreciate your effort to help me. I redid all, carefully, I made sure that X was Field1, Y was Field2, and Z was Field3, and was very careful not to select any records of the table other than to open it to see it. And I did every step carefully, and yet, it happened once again. My result only has one record with Field3 of 3.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

so to summarize.

Your shapefile in GCS WGS84 shows up fine.

But when you project it, using the Project tool, only 1 record is created in the projected file... correct?

Did you try another projection other than UTM 16N like some regional projection used in that area?  If not try it. because -90is is on the edge of UTM 16 and 15 N but it seems indescriminant in which point it picks.  Don't they have an albers or similar for that area?

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

UTM 16N works fine (for me).

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well good, that just leaves the selection of a record prior to projection issue, which apparently has also been ruled out... leaving a well-defined workflow producing an unexpected result for one individual

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is that your coordinates are perfectly fine.

The bad news is that I followed your instructions exactly and all 3 points showed up, so I can't tell you why you only see one point.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Check Tool Environment before ,specially Processing Extent

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The would have been a big omission in the workflow since the default extent is maximum of inputs except for some tools

Output Extent (Environment setting)—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

and in the case of a projection, the Project tool Project—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

The extent isn't even one of the parameters that it honors and since it was a shapefile, 2 don't even apply, see the project ool environments options below

Environments

0 Kudos
PeterSchlesinger
New Contributor II

If at first you don't succeed, try try again... I tried and tried. I created the file in TerrSet and it worked fine there, but even the shapefile ported from TerrSet in ArcMap would fail on projection. So I started looking at other responses to other questions. And I came upon one where someone had a failed mxd file. And for a lark, I threw away my long in use current mxd file and tried a new one. It worked just fine. So something in the mxd file must have been causing those records to be selected when I was projecting. All is well now. I will reopen the files from the other mxd carefully and start again. Thanks for your assistance.