Who can create GlobalID?

04-22-2015 02:59 PM
AlesB_
by
New Contributor

I have to create GlobalID. When i am using user account who has read/write permission, I get "Configuring the dataset for replication failed. Invalid function arguments.Failure to access the DBMS server.[[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Cllient 11.0]Communication link failure][nameOfDatabase.sde.GDB_Items]"....I am creating it in ArcCatalog by clicking on the feature class and select Manage/Add GlobalIDs..

What is wrong? This GlobalID attribute must be created by sde user only? Or i have to add some permission to my current user? Which way for creating GlobalID is correct?

Thanks for reply...

Alex

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Only the table owner can make structural changes to tables.  Since the SDE user should not ever own spatial data tables, the SDE user should not ever be used to add columns, GlobalID or otherwise.

- V

AlesB_
by
New Contributor

HI Vince Angelo

Thanks for reply. I supposed it that GlobalID have to be inserted by owner of data. I know that sde user shouldn't be used for operation with spatial data.

In my case (when i got message "Configuring the dataset for replication failed. Invalid function arguments.Failure to access the DBMS server.[[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Cllient 11.0]Communication link failure][nameOfDatabase.sde.GDB_Items]".) it means that my geodata owner missing some permission? Do someone know which one? I am able to use  create, insert, delete operation with my geodata owner. I am using MSSQL2012.

Thanks for your next tips & ideas...

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Tech Support will be able to tell you if that means your geodatabase instance metadata is corrupt, but you'll need to provide more details on the database version, geodatabase version, Desktop version, and replication instance version than you've provided here.

- V

0 Kudos
SebastianRoberts
Occasional Contributor III

Alex,

Did you resolve this?  I am getting the same error after adding a feature class to a feature dataset, and right clicking the feature dataset to add global IDs. The SQL user that is connecting to the database has been able to add global IDs in the past.

0 Kudos