Select to view content in your preferred language

How to get Nightly Full Compression on a 3 tier SDE Version when QA/QC may not get resolved nightly?

08-10-2023 07:53 AM
Amarz
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hello All,

My Organization updated to a Small Gov License Agreement and wants to move towards enabling web editing. Before this, there was only one GIS person (me) and no one else had access to edit the data. Now we are attempting to move towards opening access to certain data layers and have staff from each department edit them.

My first question is, we already have a Traditional Versioned Environment, as laid out below:

1. DEFAULT - Protected (parent)

1. EDIT Version - Public (child)

But I want to incorporate a QA/QC version between the two. My main questions, is how do I achieve nightly FULL compression when I may not be able to approve edits the before the script runs? And therefor, the versions wont be removed upon reconciliation.

Is there a separate way I should approach this? 

9 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

For example, the data gets reconciled and posted to the QA/QC version automatically by the python script every day, the sde compress script can run every day at night off business hours. Then on Fridays someone reviews and approves the edits in the QA/QC version and manually reconciles and posts the edits to the SDE.DEFAULT version, then you can wait for the automated sde compress to trigger to move the data from the delta tables (A & D tables) to the Base tables, after this is recommended to rebuild indexes and gather new statistics.

Using Python scripting to batch reconcile and post traditional versions—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation
Reconcile and post edits to a traditional version—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I recommend you attend these training class, they are very helpful.

Deploying and Maintaining a Multiuser Geodatabase | Esri Training Instructor-Led Course – 2 days (16 hours)

Implementing Versioned Workflows in a Multiuser Geodatabase | Esri Training Instructor-Led Course – 3 days (24 hours)

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
Amarz
by

Thank you @MarceloMarques Marcelo, that is the thought process I was envisioning, having the nightly go to QA and not achieve full compression, and then on Fridays, run the QA to DEFAULT.

On another question, do you have any resources that will demonstrate how to set up an Alert to notify the QA/QC if there are pending transactions?

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@Amarz- You can look into the arcpy API.
IsBeingEdited—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation
Also, my recommendation is for you to automate and orchestrate the editing workflow steps with the Esri ArcGIS Workflow Manager Extension. It can be quite useful.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

are you asking about compression all the way to "state zero"?

0 Kudos
Amarz
by

@BillFox  I am achieving a State 0 on my current 2 tiered versioned GDB. 

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

short answer is you won't get there unless all the versions are deleted

option A) change to doing a weekly state zero during an agreed upon maintenance window where every editor knows to reconcile and post it or loose their work before the deadline (hold them responsible for their edits - not you)

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Indeed. If your goal is to achieve "state zero" then you will need to reconcile all children versions of the QA/QC version, resolve conflicts and post, then delete the children versions of the QA/QC version, run a SDE Compress, then reconcile the QA/QC version to the SDE.DEFAULT version, resolve conflicts and post, then at this point delete the QA/QC version and run the SDE Compress at least 2 or 3 times, then the records in the Delta Tables (A & D tables) will move to the Base Tables, after the SDE Compress you need to rebuild indexes ( spatial indexes and attribute indexes ) and gather new statistics because the cardinality changed in the Base Tables and Delta Tables, the number of rows changed on those tables.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

I heard at the UC that branch versioning does not support a middle version between default and editor's version

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

That is correct. Branch Versioning supports only one level down from sde.default version, you cannot create a child of a child version like in Traditional Versioning. This is covered in detail in the documentation.
Versioning types—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

0 Kudos