Getting Relationship classes to work backwards while selecting related records

08-04-2021 04:36 PM
Labels (1)
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

I feel like this is a stupid question, but I'm having a lot of trouble with it.

I'm trying to relate a series of tables with relationship classes. I have it set up as 1:M relationship classes going A->B->C->D. This works fine; I can select a record in A and have the appropriate records also get selected in Table D.

However, I can't get it to work going the other direction; if I select a record in D, none of the other tables will have anything selected.

I was able to get around this previously by using a series of Relates; these let you work in both directions, but I can't get this to work in Relationship classes, and since I'd like this data to be hosted in a webmap, in-memory relates aren't going to cut it.

How can I get Relationship classes to work backwards while selecting related records?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Update 8/10/21.

I spoke with Esri and apparently this is not possible to do; relationship classes are a one-way street when it comes to selecting related records.

I thought I could maybe get around it with a M:N relationship table, but apparently that only works in one direction as well. (Which is bizarre)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? AGOL doesn't have any sort of relate capability, or else I'd just use those. (This article has a misleading title; only relationship classes are supported in AGOL.) 

Thank you

0 Kudos