export and import

07-01-2014 03:50 AM
jayasudha
New Contributor III
Hi experts

I am working with ArcGIS 10.1, Oracle SDE geodatabase.
I exported (by using XML workspace) set of feature classes from a schema (schema only) succesfully from one instance.
I tried to import these to same schema in another instance, then it is failed with a error:
Import XML failed ....ORA 01031 insufficient privileges.

What kind of privileges are required to improt xml workspace document ??

On the other hand, Can I use Oracle utilities for export and import for geodatabase ??

Regards
0 Kudos
6 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Welcome to the Esri Forums.  In order to get the best answer, you need to provide
complete information on the software in use (e.g. "ArcGIS 10.1 with SP1 and QIP
and Oracle 11.2.0.3.4") and give useful details like the user name with which you
were attempting to load, and possibly the geoprocessing log associated with the
conversion attempt (as text, so terms will be searchable).

What kind of privileges are required to [import] xml workspace document ??

More than the user has.  What privileges does it have?

On the other hand, Can I use Oracle utilities for export and import for geodatabase ??

Yes and no.  You can use Oracle utilities to transfer data, but only in a limited
set of conditions, and the ability varies greatly by utility, and by the nature
of the data stored in the geodatabase.

- V
0 Kudos
EmadAl-Mousa
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

you can use Oracle (export datapump "expdp/impdp") by moving (sde schema + all other related geodatabase sachemas) to the other instance.

to help you more, what is the current permissions granted to the user you are using for import .....?

by the way you can use the traditional copy/paste to move a set of features from one instance to another through ArcCatalog but you will need to define a DBTUNE parameter with specific information about the geometry storage type, tablespace,....etc

hope this helps.

Regards,
VinceAngelo
Datapump utilities are rather notorious for not being effective in moving the SDE user
between instances.  RMAN is much more likely to successfully copy an entire instance.

- V
0 Kudos
EmadAl-Mousa
Occasional Contributor III
@Vince i agree esepcially with "st_geoemtry"
0 Kudos
jayasudha
New Contributor III
Hi, Thanks to both of you.

It is succesful when i imported to same schema, earlier i tried in another schema.
Is there any to use REMAP_SCHEMA in importing xml workspace document.
When i used oracle utilities to migrate data, the feature classes are to be registered again with geodatabase i think ?
What is the best way to backup and restore geodatabase ?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

Is there any to use REMAP_SCHEMA in importing xml workspace document.

XML workspace documents should be RDBMS-agnostic.

When i used oracle utilities to migrate data, the feature classes are to be registered again with geodatabase i think ?

Yes, they would need to be registered (unless they were corrupted by the process --
some geodata cannot be transferred on a piecemeal basis).

What is the best way to backup and restore geodatabase?

"Best" is in the eye of the beholder.  There are too many use paradigms and too many
possible ways to get there to say.  The key part about backups is to validate them, lest
you be like the individual who made a daily backup to floppy disk, and stuck it to the
file cabinet with a strong magnet to make sure it didn't get lost.

- V