broken data source crashed ArcMAP

02-27-2017 07:39 AM
JohnWatermolen
New Contributor II

When I have broken data source on in the TOC, when I click on it ArcMAP crashes. I find it very frustrating and have several other users that experience the same thing

14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

hah love it... don't blame the retired... isolate the file, you may have files with bad geometry or totally corrupt.  As I said, remove the good stuff leaving the bad stuff... then when that is done, you can run a Repair Geometry on the remainder to see if there are any problems.  You can run a check geometry, but there is no point if it just tells you that you have problems and need to repair it anyways.

Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

If you know where the file is located just remove the broken layer and add it again new.

can you right click properties and set it from there? Don't click that checkbox that seems to cause issues with users. 

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Although I've only had mixed results in the past, you can try the mxd utilities

Using the MXD Doctor utility—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

And Using the Document Defragmenter utility—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Mixed results?  That would be a kind way of describing my experience with trying to repair broken MXDs.  The Document Defragmenter works when the MXD is intact, but it hasn't solved many problems for me.  By the time I resort to using these tools, I feel like I have better odds playing Scratch & Win.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I agree, but if all else fails, it never hurts to try it (on a copy).  Once in a while it helps....but I still never win scratch-offs.  

Btw, I mentioned them mainly because most don't even know they exist anymore....for the reason you mentioned.

0 Kudos