broken data source crashed ArcMAP

02-27-2017 07:39 AM
JohnWatermolen
New Contributor II

When I have broken data source on in the TOC, when I click on it ArcMAP crashes. I find it very frustrating and have several other users that experience the same thing

14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what is the broken data source? something like a basemap? a file on a server?  Have you tried creating a new dataframe, moving all the good files into it, then deleting/removing the data frame with the broken link in it?  that way you don't have to touch the file, if that is what is causing the problem.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In addition to what Dan asks, what version and patches are you running? 

0 Kudos
JohnWatermolen
New Contributor II

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I have an addin /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2015/08/31/python-addin-for-data-inventory-and-broken-link-repair?sr=search&searc...‌  that may help you find and repair the broken link. If nothing else, the tool to list the broken links is handy.

Also, in ArcCatalog, you should be able to right-click on the mxd and choose fix datasets.  This creates a new mxd, so it doesn't change the mxd.  You have to know what it is you are wanting to change for the tool, but maybe even saving it without changing will help.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does ArcMap crash instantly when you click on the Broken Datasource?  Or does ArcMap "think" for awhile before crashing?

0 Kudos
JohnWatermolen
New Contributor II

I have had both happen, usually automatically crashes when I click on the link

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is your broken datasource originating from an enterprise SDE database?

0 Kudos
JohnWatermolen
New Contributor II

Michael,

Usually not. Usually it is shapefile or feature classes, maybe from people who retired

John

0 Kudos