Select to view content in your preferred language

Analyze Datasets tool - Datasets to Analyze maintenance

Jump to solution
05-21-2024 01:35 PM
Labels (2)
AndreaB_
Occasional Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm looking into using the Analyze Datasets tool in ArcGIS Pro. Couple questions:

1) Is there a way to pick all Datasets in the geodatabase? Would be nice if we had a select all button here - I have a lot and I haven't picked them all from the drop down yet. I think you all are going to say - use Python. and I'm sure I should but I really just wanted a quick way to run this tool on all datasets. 

AndreaB__0-1716323506552.png

2) I see Only datasets that are owned by the connected user will be displayed.  So do people end up running this tool at least twice - once as 'sde' and once as the DataOwner user? 

Thanks,

Andrea

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@AndreaB_ 

1) Is there a way to pick all Datasets in the geodatabase? Would be nice if we had a select all button here - I have a lot and I haven't picked them all from the drop down yet. I think you all are going to say - use Python. and I'm sure I should but I really just wanted a quick way to run this tool on all datasets. 

[Marcelo]: You can drag and drop all the featuredatasets, featureclasses, tables into the "Datasets to Analyze" box and the tool will update the statistics for all of them. You can them turn the tool into a Model Builder or Python Script.

2) I see Only datasets that are owned by the connected user will be displayed.  So do people end up running this tool at least twice - once as 'sde' and once as the DataOwner user? 

[Marcelo]: I prefer to always use the data owner user connection to analyze and get new statistics, I do not use the sde user connection. If I have multiple data owner users, then I execute the analyze multiple times.

Note, you still need to run the Analyze with the sde user connection but with the option "Include System Tables" to update statistics of the ArcSDE Geodatabase tables. When you run the Analyze with the data owner users you turn off that option.

Analyze Datasets example:

sde user connection 

note: sde user is the arcsde geodatabase repository owner and shall not be used to load featureclasses and tables.

MarceloMarques_0-1716325596316.png

data owner user connection

MarceloMarques_1-1716325693830.png

MarceloMarques_2-1716325749171.png

In my case I am also a database administrator, hence I prefer to use the RDBMS SQL commands to get new statistics instead of using the ArcGIS Pro Analyze GP tool, the RDBMS SQL commands provide advanced options that the Analyze GP tool does not have.

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

Hi @AndreaB_ ,

With tool you can select the down arrow and then click the checkbox. yes, this will only display data owned by schema owner and should be ran with "data owner" and SDE user.

MarlonAmaya_0-1716324698250.png

View solution in original post

12 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@AndreaB_ 

[Marcelo]: You can drag and drop all the featuredatasets, featureclasses, tables into the "Datasets to Analyze" box and the tool will update the statistics for all of them. You can them turn the tool into a Model Builder or Python Script.

2) I see Only datasets that are owned by the connected user will be displayed.  So do people end up running this tool at least twice - once as 'sde' and once as the DataOwner user? 

[Marcelo]: I prefer to always use the data owner user connection to analyze and get new statistics, I do not use the sde user connection. If I have multiple data owner users, then I execute the analyze multiple times.

Note, you still need to run the Analyze with the sde user connection but with the option "Include System Tables" to update statistics of the ArcSDE Geodatabase tables. When you run the Analyze with the data owner users you turn off that option.

Analyze Datasets example:

sde user connection 

note: sde user is the arcsde geodatabase repository owner and shall not be used to load featureclasses and tables.

MarceloMarques_0-1716325596316.png

data owner user connection

MarceloMarques_1-1716325693830.png

MarceloMarques_2-1716325749171.png

In my case I am also a database administrator, hence I prefer to use the RDBMS SQL commands to get new statistics instead of using the ArcGIS Pro Analyze GP tool, the RDBMS SQL commands provide advanced options that the Analyze GP tool does not have.

I hope this helps.

AndreaB_

Now I know why I was looking for the Select All button - because there is one on the Rebuild Indexes pane (see below). Are you aware of any Ideas to make these panes have the same look and feel to 'select all'? or @KoryKramer ? Super confusing to have to 2 different ways (and the help documentation doesn't talk about Select All). If there isn't one then I can start one. 

AndreaB__0-1716391361793.png

Thank you!

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@AndreaB_ - I am not aware of any idea posted asking to make the GP Tools UI similar for "Select All".
Please go ahead and post an idea about this, if there is a duplicate idea then when your idea is reviewed, we will know for sure. I agree it is a good enhancement.  : )

MarceloMarques_0-1716392122772.png

MarceloMarques_1-1716392136334.png

0 Kudos
AndreaB_
0 Kudos
MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

Hi @AndreaB_ ,

With tool you can select the down arrow and then click the checkbox. yes, this will only display data owned by schema owner and should be ran with "data owner" and SDE user.

MarlonAmaya_0-1716324698250.png

AndreaB_

ah ok!! Thank you both!! Never knew that little arrow was there hiding the checkbox for select all. And the rest all makes sense to me. Appreciate it!

0 Kudos
AndreaB_

oh interesting....I got "Could not analyze dataset ... (You might not have sufficient permissions.)" on 19 of the layers. The other 30 ran fine. I used the dataowner connection - or so it appears.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

which is the data owner user for the layers that worked?
which is the data owner user for the layers that did not work?
which connection file did you use? the sde user? or which data owner user? 

based on how permissions are set for the users and if a particular data owner user can see the data of other data owner user, then that data owner user will not have privileges, and you will need to run the Analyze with the other data owner user. 

0 Kudos
AndreaB_

Well, I thought the tool was done. But it said 100% and it was still working. And when I went to close ArcGIS Pro - it said the tool was still running. So there's a chance all of the error messages weren't loaded yet. In that case none of them would have worked.

This is the "not best practices" geodatabase that has 'sde' as the Data Owner for everything (not doing that in future, I promise!) . so I was connected as 'sde'. I am using this one to test Prod before I replace Prod with the best, new one. But maybe this geodatabase is too messed up to function.

0 Kudos