Add Database Server error: "Cannot connect to the database server"

Jump to solution
07-24-2017 02:50 PM
ÅkeMagnusson1
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm setting up a Web-GIS using ArcGIS for Server Workgroup Standard. I'm now trying to add a database server in ArcCatalog, however, I receive the error "Register Database Server. Cannot connect to the database server. Failed to connect to Database Server.".

So far a virtual machine (VM) has been set up, on which the SQL Server Express 2014 has been installed, authorized and enabledfor geodatabase storage. The Firewall on the VM has been changed to have port 1433 and 1434 open. Furthermore, in SQL Server Configuration Manager the TCP/IP has been enabled, IPALL set to port 1433 and the Dynamic option is left blank. Both the SQLServer and SQLBrowseris running. Also, the SQL server client (I've checked that it's the right version) has been installed on the client where ArcGIS desktop is installed.

When trying to add a database server in ArcCatalog I've been using "<server_name>\<instance_name>" as well as
"<server_name>\<instance_name>, 1433", and also IP adress instead of hostname.

The installation of the SQL Server Express seems to have worked fine as I'm able to manage the instance using SQL Server Management Studio.

I'm new to this area of GIS, so I'm at this point not sure where to take my troubleshooting next. Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated.

(btw, I saw this question in another thread, https://community.esri.com/message/86306 , but decided to create a new question as the other thread offers no solution, there's some minor differences and it's a few years old)

Thanks,

/Åke

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If SSMS is on the server machine, it ArcCatalog as well?  Or, are you trying to connect from another machine?  If the latter, the fact that SSMS can connect doesn't give the full picture because you haven't established the client can properly communicate the server.

From what you describe so far, and the error message, is the VM hosting SQLExpress on the same Windows domain as the client machines trying to connect to it?  The error message indicates there may be separate domains involved, and there is not a trust established between the machines to allow Windows authentication to work.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) on the server machine or on your local client?  This may seem odd, but what is your instance name?  Also, in SSMS are you using Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication?

ÅkeMagnusson1
New Contributor II

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your answer! SSMS is installed on the server machine.

The instance name is the default "SQLExpress", and the VM-hostname does not contain any accented characters (if you thought that might be the issue).

I'm using Windows Authentication in SSMS.

I've also noticed that the connection attempts does not appear in the SSMS log when I'm trying to connect using "<server_name>\<instance_name>", however if I use the IPv4 instead of hostname i.e. "<IPv4>\<instance_name>" a "login failed-message" appears in both the SSMS log and in Server manager. The error in the SSMS log says "the login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication".

Is add database server in ArcCatalog supposed to work if I use "<IPv4>\<instance_name>"? If not, could the problem be DNS related? I noticed that I can ping the VM using IPv4 but not if I use the hostname.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If SSMS is on the server machine, it ArcCatalog as well?  Or, are you trying to connect from another machine?  If the latter, the fact that SSMS can connect doesn't give the full picture because you haven't established the client can properly communicate the server.

From what you describe so far, and the error message, is the VM hosting SQLExpress on the same Windows domain as the client machines trying to connect to it?  The error message indicates there may be separate domains involved, and there is not a trust established between the machines to allow Windows authentication to work.

ÅkeMagnusson1
New Contributor II

The latter is correct, I'm trying to connect from my desktop computer where ArcCatalog is located.

Ok, yes, that might be the issue, I will look into this. Thanks for your help!

Edit: The VM belonged to a Workgroup, changing it to the same domain as the client (and the server) resolved the issue. Although the status of the database server in ArcCatalog is "unknown" I'm now able to add geodatabases and add data to those. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I don't see a mention of the version of the Desktop software you are using, but make sure it is compatible, e.g.

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.4.x—Help | ArcGIS Desktop   for example..

*Microsoft SQL Server Express (32-bit) is only supported for desktop geodatabases.

Although I have the 64-bit version installed with 10.3.1 and it works fine.

You may need to install the client locally

Database clients—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

I have my SQL Express loaded on my local machine, but it should work on a VM machine also.  Make sure you are connecting thru the Database Servers connection and not the Database Connections in Catalog.  Mine appears like this, with a successful connection.

ÅkeMagnusson1
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply! I don't think there's a compatibility issue. As I recall it we are using ArcGIS desktop 10.3.1 (I'm sure it's not an earlier version). The express edition is Microsoft SQL Server 2014 64-bit.

Regarding the Microsoft SQL Server native client 64-bit, it's installed locally where ArcGIS desktop is located.

0 Kudos