Distance between almost antipodes cities

09-16-2017 01:54 AM
GB
by
New Contributor

Hello!

I would like to calculate distances between different pairs of cities that are almost at their antipodes. I was wondering if ArcGIS takes into account that given that the globe is not flat, there is two ways to reach the antipodes and one option is shortest of the other. For example I can calculate the distance from Lisbon to Auckland with a line that crosses Asia, or via a line that crosses America. I believe that the distance calculated via Asia, in this case, is longer that the one I would have via America. Does ArcGIS take into account this issue? And how can I address this issue in my analysis? Thank you.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Shift the coordinates of both locations by a longitudinal amount to put Fiji on the negative side of the date line.  It doesn't matter as long as the latitudes remain the same

0 Kudos
GB
by
New Contributor

Sorry but I cannot understand. 

This is an extract of my excel file:

Location        tx                     toy                 fromx       fromy

(point in nz)   174,7633315  -36,8484597 -1.051945 43,708608

How should I modify it?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

move 174 longitude by 7 degrees to the east, it becomes -179 degrees longitude since it crossed that imaginary 180/-180 line.  Move your other longitude by the same amount (the amount isn't relevant) and their 'relative' positions will remain the same.  Do the calculation

0 Kudos
GB
by
New Contributor

Thank you. I tried, but it doesn't work for two reasons: 1) it goes already on the east side; 2)I'll obtain a line that does not depart from the point I want.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Good luck then

0 Kudos
GB
by
New Contributor

Sorry I cannot understand your answer. Does it mean that there aren't alternatives?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I have tried to explain alternatives, but I will give someone else in the queue a chance to jump in with suggestions.

0 Kudos