Select to view content in your preferred language

How to edit Community post

Jump to solution
11-15-2023 12:35 PM
Thomas_Z2
New Contributor III

How can I edit my own post in Esri Community?

Since a while I can't edit my own posts and answers anymore. I cannot find edit or delete actions on the page. This (and the poor editor, i.e., no Markdown) is one of the reason why I prefer to use StackExchange and other forums. Editor aside, why can't I edit my posts anymore?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

Thanks for tagging me for awareness, @DanPatterson. @Thomas_Z2, apologies for the difficulty you've been running into while trying to edit your own posts! I've done some digging and believe I uncovered the issue. Your Esri Community account seems to have reverted to a permissions role that excluded the ability to edit posts. Not sure why that happened, but I've switched the role back to what it should be. Please go ahead and give it a try, and let us know if you run into any additional issues.

Jesse Cloutier
Community Manager, Engagement & Content

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Thomas_Z2
New Contributor III

According to this resources I should be able to do so but I am not...

https://community.esri.com/t5/community-help-documents/understanding-community-roles-and-permissions...

thozub_dal_0-1700081584880.png

0 Kudos
Thomas_Z2
New Contributor III

Note: The user on the screenshot is me (same account as this one; I updated the username). 

Using another account, posts created with the other account can be edited when logged in with that account. However, this does not work with this account (editing posts created with this account).

0 Kudos
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

Thanks for tagging me for awareness, @DanPatterson. @Thomas_Z2, apologies for the difficulty you've been running into while trying to edit your own posts! I've done some digging and believe I uncovered the issue. Your Esri Community account seems to have reverted to a permissions role that excluded the ability to edit posts. Not sure why that happened, but I've switched the role back to what it should be. Please go ahead and give it a try, and let us know if you run into any additional issues.

Jesse Cloutier
Thomas_Z2
New Contributor III

Hi @JesseCloutier, I can edit again. Thank you very much!

@DanPatterson Thank you as well!

JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

My pleasure, @Thomas_Z2

Jesse Cloutier
0 Kudos
SantoshS
New Contributor

Hey @JesseCloutier , can you give me edit permissions as well. I need to change one of the posts I had made.

Cheers,
Santosh

0 Kudos
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

Hi Santosh, I can confirm your account also wasn't verified. I've gone ahead and completed that for you. Please go ahead and try editing your post now. 

Jesse Cloutier
0 Kudos
Jades1
by
New Contributor III

Hi, I'm having trouble editing my posts as well. Could you do the same for me?

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

Hi @Jades1, I've checked on your account and because it's so new (created just yesterday), you still have the Registered User role which has fewer permissions by design. This is an industry standard spam prevention measure. Since you've already created at least one post with this account, your role should update within the next day. That will afford you some additional permissions, including being able to edit your own posts. All the best!

Jesse Cloutier
0 Kudos