Select to view content in your preferred language

Getting fewer notifications than usual

06-22-2024 08:19 AM
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor

I normally get around 80-100 Esri Community notifications in my feed each day on weekdays (red count indicator on bell icon):

https://community.esri.com/t5/notificationfeed/page

But for the past few days I’ve been getting roughly half that many notifications. And fewer kudo notifications. Is that expected, due to summer holidays etc., or is there any chance there’s an issue with notifications in the system?

0 Kudos
30 Replies
BlakeMorrison
Regular Contributor

Further investigation:

The forum software is calling javascript from zoominfo.com which my organisation has blocked as a security risk. What are the chances there is something happening at this point that is getting in the way of things?

EDIT: No, that doesn't make sense. The forum must have it's own list of which users are subscribed to which posts. I'm unable to subscribe again, so I assume I'm subscribed already.

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor

As @BlakeMorrison mentioned:

For the purposes of this reply I'm using Chrome and I've cleared the cache and cookies.

Unless I'm mistaken, I should be receiving a notification when a thread I'm subscribed to gets a reply. By notification, I mean the notification feed in the forum software (accessed via bell icon). I do not mean emails or any sort of proactive push notification - I am only referring to the forum software.

Current forum behaviour from my point of view is that I will only be notified when I am tagged with the @ symbol. This leaves me having to manually visit threads I have participated in to check if there has been any activity.

Here is an example of that issue:

@ModernElectric replied to my comment: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/identify-feature-classes-with-64-bit-objectid/m-p...

Bud_2-1724777765066.png

But I didn't get a notification in the Community website bell/notifications page:

Bud_0-1724777528992.png

And I didn't get an email either. Windows 10; desktop PC; Chrome Version 127.0.6533.100 (Official Build) (64-bit).

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor

Now I'm getting this classic error when I hit the bell:

Bud_1-1724777671421.png

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor

Now I'm seeing a combined notification:

Bud_3-1724777835834.png

But still no email about ModernElectric's reply.

0 Kudos
SimiBasu
Esri Community Manager

@Bud reviewing your comments above, I have couple of questions:

1) Are you still receiving email notifications for other content in Esri Community where you expect them? You can check your notification settings here https://community.esri.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions:notification-settings

2) On the screenshot above on the notification feed , the system telling you there are no notifications. Looking at this time stamps, looks like you got multiple errors in few minutes. Were you trying to  comment on something or creating new posts? 

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor

1) "Are you still receiving email notifications for other content in Esri Community where you expect them?"
Yes.

2) "...looks like you got multiple errors in few minutes. Were you trying to comment on something or creating new posts?"
I don't recall doing anything other than reviewing my notifications.

0 Kudos
BlakeMorrison
Regular Contributor

I didn't know anyone had responded to this thread after my last reply. Just saw it now cos I manually visited this thread, manually scrolled to the end of it and saw that there were things that I don't remember reading before.

FWIW, I have never seen the errors or odd behaviour Bud is talking about. I've only ever noticed that I have to manually check if anyone has responded to me or I won't know they have.

None of this has anything to do with emails. Emails will be triggered by the forum software, but the forum software is not reporting those trigger events.

0 Kudos
BlakeMorrison
Regular Contributor

@Bud 

I've just noticed I have zero subscriptions listed at this link. Nor any notification settings available. How about you? https://community.esri.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions

It would appear I am infact just unable to subscribe to threads. Whether I have replied to a thread or not. I cannot subscribe as the option is greyed out. Auto-subscribe is set to on in settings, but obviously doesn't function either.

0 Kudos
BlakeMorrison
Regular Contributor

Ok, I've maybe managed to fix this issue for myself. My account wasn't verified for some reason. I had to reverify it.

@SimiBasu Can I suggest you check over all the users in the forum to see if there are more people that have gone from verified to unverified. Cheers.

Related: https://community.esri.com/t5/community-feedback/can-t-subscribe-to-any-community-places-or-boards/t...

0 Kudos
SimiBasu
Esri Community Manager

Thank you @BlakeMorrison for the additional details and suggestions. We will check that. 

@JesseCloutier FYI

0 Kudos