Getting comfortable yet?

11-25-2020 09:05 AM
Labels (1)
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager
3 10 2,850

Yes, no, maybe... 

As we are all getting settled in and finding our way around the site, I want to check in and see how you are doing? I would like to share with you some tips on getting comfortable and some key things we have learned since our launch.

But first, I would like to give a big thank you to those of you who have been providing feedback, helping us uncover bugs and testing out new ways of doing things! It takes a community to launch a community! 

Here are the top 5 things we think will help you along your way:

1. Set up your subscriptions and notifications – Although the content moved over from the old site, our connections and subscriptions did not, you have an opportunity to start fresh with your subscriptions and connections.

2. Navigation and Search – Use the top navigation menu (All Communities) to easily find the place you are looking for. Community Structure - November 2020 will help you understand the basic layout of the site. And search offers plenty of ways to apply filters to narrow your search. How to search and apply filters 

3. Ranks and Badges – Curious how you achieved the rank you did, or what the badges are all about- check out these two documents. And you can also learn more about  Roles in this document.

4.Known Issues and Future Enhancements – We are updating this document daily with the latest findings and fixes and enhancement requests. Bookmark it or subscribe to it so you too can stay up to date!

5. Disappearing or hidden posts.  Archive and Spam

• Archives: You may come across a hidden or archived content link while searching the site or using old bookmarks. As part of our migration we did some clean up of old posts, in an effort to help bring relevant, more recent topics to the forefront when searching topics and solutions. If you feel like a post was mistakenly archived, reach out the the Community team at geonet@esri.com and we will review and retrieve it for you.
  • Spam: Missing a post that you just edited, or you just  created a new post but now cannot find it? There is a chance it got caught up in our overly sensitive spam quarantine. The spam quarantine is sensitive to start, and will learn over time about our content and will eventually settle into a better pattern and not mistake valid posts for spam. If this happens to you, send a PM or email (geonet@esri.com) to myself or anyone on the community team and we will search the quarantine for your post and bring it back to circulation.

Bonus tip: Check out the Frequently Asked Questions about ArcGIS Ideas

To find more helpful documents on how to use the community check out: Community Help Docs

And to provide feedback on the community or report an issue, please post in: Community Feedback

Thank you for being part of our Community! For our friends in the United States, wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving, stay safe and healthy this holiday season!

download.png

Tags (1)
10 Comments
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It's going well! I really like the new format. Is there no "Ideas" space for Community, though?

The one thing I'd like that I don't see if the ability to filter/sort my subscriptions. It's nice to be able to follow up on threads I've interacted with, but that puts all the "Topic" subscriptions at the top, and pushes my Board and Blog subscriptions and the like off the first page.

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Also! Could we somehow implement "pinned" communities in the header bar? Like a user-defined quick link to a specific space?

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi @jcarlson 

Thanks for the feedback!

Right now we are going to keep using the Known Issues and Future Enhancements  and will consider an ideas exchange for Community down the road. 

As for the subscription filtering and sorting and the pinning communities, I know the vendor is working on an overhaul of user interface in 2021 an I expect some improvements coming with personalization options that hopefully will help in these areas. 

RandyKreuziger1
Occasional Contributor

I find myself visiting the new site less for browsing which is something I use to do a lot even more before the first GeoNet version.  Modern interfaces are designed more for mobile devices but when I need support I'm always on my computer.  I'd really love to see a streamlined view that shows more post per screen and less cluster like the user avatars.  For me, I find them to be visual static.  They /catch distract your eye when trying to scan the posts but provide no usable information. 

JohnReynolds1
New Contributor III

How can I find where to ask a technical question?

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

hi @JohnReynolds1  

There are lots of places/ topics to search for solutions and ask questions. You can get started either by searching a topic or in the top navigation menu, look under all communities for a specific area of interest.  Here are some docs to get you started searching and asking questions;

How to search and apply filters 

How to ask a question 

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

@RandyKreuziger1  Totally understand your position. This document offers some alternative ways to view content sans the avatars: Useful URLs to access Content Specific views 

Cheers

JohnReynolds1
New Contributor III

I just tried to post a question on the How to ask a question page but it's asking me for some kind of tag.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you very much for knowledge.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes thank you very much and I will improve with more studies and I want to thank you for this learning opportunity and congratulate the Whole ESRI Team and thank you very much.

As soon as I will bring my ideas of territorial maps as ideas for well-being.

About the Author
My role at Esri is the Manager of Community Experience and Programs. As the manager of the community experience team, I support, guide, and help our community managers and am focused on programs to continue growth and enhancement of our community. Outside of work I love the outdoors (in all seasons). You can typically find me skiing, hiking, biking, kayaking, or curled up with a good book.