Reclassify Tool Remaps Incorrectly

04-01-2020 04:04 PM
JeromeHaaland
Occasional Contributor

Starting in 10.7... the reclassify tool fails to have the same number of classification break values as the legend in the TOC.  The tool now always has 9 breaks or ranges, regardless of the number of breaks in the input raster layer in the TOC.

By default this tool is supposed to use the exact same classification break values as the input raster layer in the TOC.

Was hoping this bug would be fixed in 10.8, nope.

ESRI does such a bad job of fixing bugs.  I have used ESRI products extensively for close to 15 years.  All software has bugs... but ESRI has so many bugs, they seem to say "We totally don't care."

Reclassify—Help | Documentation

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

This bug?

BUG-000120325: When the input raster is a layer from Table of Conte.. 

If it is, there is a Subscript button beside the bug number to track and see if it is resolved.

There are a number of others, but much older

https://support.esri.com/en/Search-Results#search?q=%22reclassify%20tool%22&content-type=Bugs

if you see a pattern.

JeromeHaaland
Occasional Contributor

That does appear to be the bug.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Report and/or Subscribe ... that's how fixes get escalated.

JeromeHaaland
Occasional Contributor

That makes absolutely no sense.

If ESRI can not keep track of their own list of bugs... and not show some sort of prudent judgement pertaining to fixing those bugs...  it simply shows an extreme lack of responsibility, pride in their work and basic good management.

You can make all the excuses you like.  I have watched them for years with bug after bug.  They are soooo sloppy.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't make excuses.  I try to help people (I am not an employee either).

Good luck

Kory Kramer‌ perhaps you can confirm if it is the bug and pass it along

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Jerome.  I'm sorry that you're running into a bug.  Since your organization is already attached to it, you should be able to escalate that through the process described here: https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support/blog/2016/03/28/how-to-escalate-a-defect 

That said, in the link that Dan pointed to, there is the following workaround which seems simple.

I hope that helps.

0 Kudos
JeromeHaaland
Occasional Contributor

Kory,

Thank you to yourself and Dan.

However... we are all wasting a huge amount of time because ESRI can not get organized.

The solution you suggest is simple enough.  However, you guys never think these answers through.  We use this tool hundreds of times.  Closer to thousands of times.  And you are asking us to take a lot more steps and time to complete a process that should be as simple as dragging the layer into the reclassify tool.  That is rude and thoughtless to continually do that.  Why should I have to pay an employee to spend a bunch of extra time because ESRI does not take the time to fix their bugs???  I am pretty sure it was my employee that started this case more than a year ago.  So add that time in there also.  He or she spent a bunch of time tracking down the bug in the first place.

Giving me an answer where you continually ask me to do some of ESRI's work... such as elevate the problem.  Or use a work around.  That truly just shows a culture of sloppyness.

I would switch to another brand of software... but to my knowledge there is no other software that works the same as ArcMap.

And overall I like ESRI... I don't really want to switch.  But I am also tired of watching all these stupid bugs that never get fixed.

0 Kudos