Quickest way to find out with feature classes that hold any data?

Jump to solution
02-02-2022 03:50 AM
DanielNilssonSWE
New Contributor II

This maybe is simple but what is the quickest way to find out which feature classes hold any data in a database with many classes/tables? (points, lines, polygons) Is there a quick way to analys the geodatabase and visual show which classes contains data? Or a script listing all feature classes and add "data exists" in a text file.

DanielNilssonSWE_0-1643802429126.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

There is a help doc here Viewing feature counts

You can also check out Listing all feature classes in File Geodatabase, including within feature datasets?

Additionally, I did come across this in one of the older cases in Esri Community Feature count 

Hopefully this helps.

~Shan

View solution in original post

3 Replies
shan_sarkar

Hi Daniel,

Are you trying to get a summary on what kind of data residing in a feature class?

Or you want a quick visual look at the data?

If it is the latter, you can always use the preview tab in ArcCatalog, and it will show you the data as points, polyline or polygon based on the geometry type of the feature class and in addition it gives an option to check out the attribute data as well.

shan_sarkar_0-1643805216406.png

If you are using ArcGIS Pro, then you can do the same from within your project , by adding the Catalog View from View Tab.

~Shan
0 Kudos
DanielNilssonSWE
New Contributor II

Hi, I´m trying to get a summary of wich feature classes contains data. A "visual" list will do, but an summary in a text file would be better. (or Excel, XML, etc)

The preview tab I know about, but this is not the thing I was looking for. <50 feature classes need to be checked...

DanielNilssonSWE_0-1644395151695.png

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

There is a help doc here Viewing feature counts

You can also check out Listing all feature classes in File Geodatabase, including within feature datasets?

Additionally, I did come across this in one of the older cases in Esri Community Feature count 

Hopefully this helps.

~Shan