Workflow Manager for ArcGIS server - does it offer any benefits for web editing?

03-08-2013 12:27 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
At a glance, it would appear WM for AGS offers little in the way of support (management) of edit workflows via a web client (e.g. silverlight/js api consuming feature services).

The only benefits that appear to be offered by WM for AGS is the exposure of the workflow administrative tools & ability to call (invoke) a workflow via a REST endpoint.  Is this the case?  If the latter, in theory it could offer the ability to aid a web client to manage a 'workflow' whereby the webclient is used to perform a particular activity.

About to install WM 4 AGS so will be able to answer myself over next week but would be helpful if anyone is able to answer these queries.

Brad
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AllWeatherHeather
Occasional Contributor

I have a similar question. We already use workflow manager extensively for desktop editing and would like to branch out to include web-based editing. I like the idea of using workflow manager workflows to help manage versioning while removing the requirement for more basic users to have access to a full ArcMap installation.

Any new thoughts on this?

0 Kudos
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Yes, the Launch ArcMap step is just a step that has a lot of logic for manipulating the data layers to repoint the map while opening ArcMap one could do the same in a web application.

If you have a web editing application, I would maybe modify it to accept a parameter in the URL <Your web application URL>?jobVersion=version123.

With this you can use the Open URL step and a token to get the job's version added to the URL when it is executed. 

Thanks,

Tope

0 Kudos
AllWeatherHeather
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Tope.

Do you know anyone out there today that is using this editing workflow?

0 Kudos
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III

Heather,

Yes, but none that I know directly. The trick is to make sure that the web application URL takes the version as a parameter, I did a quick search for URL parsing and found this post. This should be a good start...

Easy URL Parsing With Isomorphic JavaScript

Hope this helps?

Thanks,

Tope

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

As a follow up - our longterm roadmap now includes more integrated web editing experiences

0 Kudos