Workflow Manager: Could not parse JXL file due to error

07-17-2014 07:16 AM
AllWeatherHeather
Occasional Contributor

I generated a JXL file from my JTX 9.3 environment and when I tried to import it into Workflow Manager 10.2.2 I got the following errors:

• Popup saying that The select JXL is invalid. Please see log for details.
  • The log revealed a level 3 message -
    7/16/2014 13:58:45.986Level: 3Could not parse JXL file due to error -1072896760: "An invalid character was found in text content." at line 205 position 6179
    Navigating to that location in the JXL using a text editor leads me to the middle of a GUID 

GUID="{003656DD-B777-46AB-8B3C-3A875E4643E9}"

Does anyone know of a way I could fix this issue and import my configuration? Our system has over 30 jobs and it would be a lot of work reconfiguring each one.

I should also note that I have successfully exported another instance of JTX 9.3 from our environment and imported into 10.2.2.

Thanks!

Heather

0 Kudos
12 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Heather,

That's unfortunate, but we'll get it working. As opposed to importing a 9.3 jxl into a 10.2.2 Workflow Manager database, you may instead want to try taking a copy of your 9.3 database and running the 10.2.2 Post Installation tool on it.

This will preserve it's existing state and simply add the necessary schema changes for the change in Workflow Manager version. This may also resolve your step issue that you also posted about.

We generally recommend updating database through the use of the Post Install tool. If you'd like to send me the jxl I can try to import it on my end as well to diagnose the problem.

Cheers,

Michael

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also, when you used the Post Install tool to create your 10.2.2 database did you select Custom Configuration and import the jxl that way? Or did you import it after the fact with a different configuration?

We would recommend you try to include it as part of the post install setup, or ensure to choose No Configuration before importing it otherwise.

Cheers,

Michael

AllWeatherHeather
Occasional Contributor

I started by deleting all the JTX tables and feature classes out of my development environment and copied our production JTX content in its place. I was sure to assign privileges to the copied content and register as versioned. I then ran the post install (which found the existing system table repository) and I selected "Minimum configuration". Unfortunately, the post install failed! Last part of the log is below:

Creating schema...

Field ACT_ID already exists in table JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_ACTIVITY_TYPES

Field DESCRIPTION already exists in table JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_ACTIVITY_TYPES

Field MESSAGE already exists in table JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_ACTIVITY_TYPES

Field NAME already exists in table JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_ACTIVITY_TYPES

Field OBJECT_GUID already exists in table JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_ACTIVITY_TYPES

Field OBJECT_MODIFIED already exists in table JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_ACTIVITY_TYPES

Field LAST_SYNC created successfully in table JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_ACTIVITY_TYPES

Unable to update GUIDs on table JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_ACTIVITY_TYPES

Upgrade failed: Objects in this class cannot be updated outside an edit session [JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_ACTIVITY_TYPES]

Updating GUIDs in field OBJECT_GUID for JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_HOLD_TYPES

Could not update GUIDs due: Objects in this class cannot be updated outside an edit session [JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_HOLD_TYPES]

Updating GUIDs in field OBJECT_GUID for JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_STATUS

Could not update GUIDs due: Objects in this class cannot be updated outside an edit session [JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_STATUS]

Updating GUIDs in field OBJECT_GUID for JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_ACTIVITY_TYPES

Could not update GUIDs due: Objects in this class cannot be updated outside an edit session [JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_ACTIVITY_TYPES]

Updating GUIDs in field OBJECT_GUID for JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_NOTIFICATIONS

Could not update GUIDs due: Objects in this class cannot be updated outside an edit session [JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_NOTIFICATIONS]

Updating GUIDs in field OBJECT_GUID for JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_PRIVILEGES

Could not update GUIDs due: Objects in this class cannot be updated outside an edit session [JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_PRIVILEGES]

Updating GUIDs in field PRIV_UID for JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_PRIV_XREF

Could not update GUIDs due: Objects in this class cannot be updated outside an edit session [JDI_GIS_NB.DBO.JTX_PRIV_XREF]

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Heather,

You actually don't want to version any of the Workflow Manager tables when they're in the system. Workflow Manager works great with versioned spatial data, but it isn't required for the system tables and is contributing to the issue you're seeing.

If you try again without versioning it should work.

Cheers,

Michael

0 Kudos
AllWeatherHeather
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Michael. I had figured this was the case so I tried it out. The post-install failed again this time reporting out of client memory [JTX_JOB_ATTACHMENTS].

I am trying to remove records from some of the oldest jobs but this process is taking a long time.

0 Kudos
AllWeatherHeather
Occasional Contributor

I actually don't need any of the existing job information just the configuration of the job types, groups, users, etc...

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Heather,

You may have some large attachments on a job that are impacting it.

If you don't need these jobs, then solving the original configuration issue would be desirable and importing that into a 10.2.2 configuration that has minimum config post installed on it. If you email me the jxl I can take a look on my side.

Cheers,

Michael

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Heather,

I received the same error when I imported it into an existing 10.2.2 Workflow Manager database.

I was however able to get it setup if I added the jxl as part of the post-installation. Please delete the tables in the database you're trying to get setup and follow these steps:

- Run Post Install

- When you get to choosing a configuration choose Custom and browse to your jxl

- Click next and choose a name for your Connection and click Finish

- The system will check the jxl and try to resolve any conflicts for maps or extended properties.

- There will be one Conflict. Click it and click the Resolve button. Click Create table and click ok.

- Click Ok and Click Finish

- Post Install will be complete

At this point just to be sure that all the 10.2.2 configuration elements are in I would rerun PostInstall on the database above and use Minimum Configuration. This will add in any missing elements.

Then you should be good to go.

Cheers,

Michael

AllWeatherHeather
Occasional Contributor

Michael,

I reran the post install on the database to get the new functionality (using minimum configuration) and I lost all my queries! Any chance you have been able to look at why importing my jxl didn't work. I think that is probably the best way to get these configurations to work in the new version.

0 Kudos