Unable to connect to Workflow Datastore

04-14-2021 07:53 AM
AlistairMcDougall1
Esri Contributor

Hi folks,

I have a new installation of Workflow Manager for ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1. Workflow Manager is installed on its own ArcGIS Server machine which is federated with a Portal from a base deployment with a hosting server. Everything seemed fine - the WFM server federated, I designated the server as Portal's WFM server and I can get to the web app, but when I try and create a new Workflow item I get an error "Unable to create new Workflow item". When I look in the Portal content, I can see a Workflow and a hosted feature layer (workflow_<id>) have been created. When I refresh the web app, the Workflow appears but when I click it, it never loads.

In the Workflow Manager logs and dev tools, I get the following error when creating the workflow:

WorkflowDataStoreException: Unable to connect to Workflow Datastore

Would this be the ArcGIS Data Store on the hosting server? The Data Store seems to be functioning ok in that it validates and I can upload a zipped shapefile and publish as a hosted layer. The hosted feature layer that is created for the Workflow I can add to a map. Any idea what could be causing this error or more things I can check? Thanks in advance!

Alistair

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JFarmer
Esri Contributor

Hi Alistair,

Since this is a new implementation and you haven't yet, successfully, created a workflow item, it's possible it is related to the setup in some way. The error you are seeing is in fact referring to ArcGIS Data Store on the hosting server.

Workflow Manager Server communicates over port 13443 so it's important to ensure that port is open and accessible on that machine. It will also need access to port 7443 on the Portal machine with which it is federated. In this case though, it sounds like maybe Workflow Manager Server doesn't have access to port 9876 on the hosting server machine? That is the Data Store port. It will also need access to port 6443 on that machine as well.

Can you check all the ports and ensure those are accessible to the Workflow Manager Server machine? If that all looks good, try restarting the Workflow Manager Server service and trying to create a workflow item again.

Thanks!

Jonathan

0 Kudos
AlistairMcDougall1
Esri Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply! I will have a look at the firewall rules and report back. 

0 Kudos
AlistairMcDougall1
Esri Contributor

Hi @JFarmer I've made sure all those ports are open and still getting no joy unfortunately... it's very strange as I do get a Workflow Item and hosted feature layer created but still getting the "Unable to connect to Workflow Datastore" error from the web app. Anything else I can try that might indicate what the problem is? Thanks

0 Kudos
JFarmer
Esri Contributor

@AlistairMcDougall1 When you get that error, have you tried restarting the Workflow Manager Server service and then trying again? What about ArcGIS Server and Data Store? Might be worth a shot just in case something is hung up somewhere.

If you access the hosted feature layer in your Portal, are you able to access the data tab or do you get a 500 error or another error?

When you set the Workflow Manager server role in Portal, an entry is made into Data Store's pb_hba.conf file to allow connections from the Workflow Manager Server machine. So, one more thing you could try, is to remove the Workflow Manager server role in Portal and re-add it. Don't unfederate or anything like that, simply change the Workflow Manager Server server role to "No Workflow Manager Server" and then set it back to your Workflow Manager Server machine. Restart the Workflow Manager Server service after doing this and then try to create a new Workflow Item in the Web App.

If none of this works, you may need to reach out to Tech Support and work with them to dig deeper into the issue.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, yes I've restarted all the services with no luck. I did try the unset/reset of the WFM server and tried unfederating/re-federated as well as it is a brand new environment. When I view the data tab of the hosted feature layer I get no errors and can add to a map as well. I've raised a case with Tech Support and will report back when we figure out what's going on. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Alistair  

0 Kudos
HéctorMeléndez
Esri Contributor

@Anonymous User  Where you able to resolve this? I'm having the same issue in my environment. In my case, the Workflow Manager Server and Hosting server are one in the same. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there, unfortunately working with tech support we could not find a resolution to this, although my issue was definitely related to inter-machine communication. My workaround was installing Workflow Manager on the ArcGIS Enterprise hosting server machine and it all works as expected.

0 Kudos
HalaAbdelmaksoud
Occasional Contributor

Hi, please do these checks which could help you
1- Check that you have a complete base deployment
2- After the installation of the Workflow Manager server: -
a) Ensure that the ArcGIS Workflow Manager Server role is active on your ArcGIS server
b) Ensure that you have added ArcGIS Workflow Manager Server to your ArcGIS portal
c) The very important step is to ensure that the service of the workflow manager is running from the machine services" it is preferred to do this step after a new installation of Workflow Manager Server"

0 Kudos