SP3 issue NOT addressed? Changes made in Instances maintained (TFS15014)

11-14-2011 12:33 PM
AshleyMott
New Contributor III
I have recently upgraded to WMX sp3. One of the issues addressed (listed in the "Issues Addressed") is:

TFS15014 : Framework : Changes made in Instances maintained not getting reflected in the current ArcMap Session

I am still experiencing this issue (at least the way I understand it):
1. Launch ArcMap from WMX (with version created in WMX)
2. Load data into feature classes within ArcMap's Catalog window
3. New data not reflected in feature classes in ArcMap toc (although if I drag the feature classes from ArcMap Catalog window, changes are reflected)

This issue does not occur outside of WMX.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrianDemers
Esri Contributor
Hi Ashley,

Just to double-check one thing: assuming that you're editing features in an SDE geodatabase, is the version in the ArcMap table of contents the same as the version of the SDE file into which you're loading the features?

I'm not sure how clear that was, so I've attached a screenshot showing what I mean.  ...and since I'm not sure how clear the screenshot is, either:

1. In ArcMap, click the "source" tab in the table of contents to see the DB & version info for the layers in question

2. In the Catalog window, right-click the .sde connection file you're using to load the data and view the "Connection Properties"

By default, if you're using Workflow Manager to launch ArcMap, it will re-point all of the layers in a map from your job's workspace's DEFAULT version to your job-specific version.  So that might explain why you're only seeing this behavior through Workflow Manager.

All that said, if the versions are in fact the same, then this does sound like a bug.

Brian D.
0 Kudos
AshleyMott
New Contributor III
Hi Brian,
You assumed correct. I am automatically connected to my SDE version (that was created by a "Create Version" step in WMX) when I use my "Launch ArcMap" step. My Launch ArcMap step is configured to connect to the version upon Launch (MXD behavior = Change MXD Versions). I also assure that I am connected to my version in my spatial database connections is my ArcMap Catalog window before loading data into my feature classes.
0 Kudos
AshleyMott
New Contributor III
Did you all test this on your end? Can you please verify if this is a bug or not?
Thank you!
0 Kudos
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

That TFS ID is not referenced anywhere in the list of issues that are addressed in Workflow Manager at SP3. Did you log this bug through someone in the past and you were told it was addressed at SP3?

I read through your steps to reproduce the behavior described and I wasn't completely clear on what you are trying to do. Especially at step 2

2. Load data into feature classes within ArcMap's Catalog window
Are you loading data into the version and then trying to add it to ArcMap TOC?
Did this feature class already exist in the database and you are adding it to the Map's TOC?

Workflow Manager has no direct connection with the ArcCatalog window in ArcMap. If you add data from the ArcCatalog window in ArcMap there is no way for WMX to know about what you had setup on the job like data workspace, version, and permission to data.

To load data to your map from the version created within WMX, you should use the �??Add Data�?� tool on the Workflow Manager Toolbar which will open a connection to the job�??s version using the connection parameters specified for your data workspace.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Tope
0 Kudos
AshleyMott
New Contributor III
I got that TFS ID from the Aero Solution sp3 list.

I will try to explain my steps more thoroughly:

1. Launch a preconfigured mxd (with Default.DBO feature classes already loaded in it) with the Launch ArcMap step from a WMX job. The step is configured to change the feature classes' source to the version that was created by the WMX job. This works as it should.

2. Open ArcMapCatalog window within the mxd I just launched from WMX.

3. Change Connection Properties (of my SDE geodatabase) in ArcMapCatalog window to the version I created in the WMX job.

4. Load data (using simple data loader) from another location (for instance shapefiles on my C drive) into the feature classes in my SDE GDB that I am accessing through the ArcMapCatalog window. These feature classes correspond (and are the same) as the feature classes in the table of contents on the map.

Result: shapefile data is successfully loaded into feature classes visible in the ArcMapCatalog window, but the new data is not reflected in the map view or in the attribute tables of the same exact feature classes in the TOC of the mxd (even after refreshing map).

***In contrast, I can run through the same steps without WMX (open a map with my feature classes from Windows Explorer or ArcCatalog then change to version) and I can successfully load the data into ArcMapCatalog window (into my version) and it will be automatically reflected in my map view and attribute tables.
0 Kudos
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Ashley,

Sorry for delayed response, I just wanted to make sure I synced up with the other team(s) and people that were involved with this incident to get a better understanding of what is going on.

When you create the version in WMX or in ArcGIS, it is a snapshot of the data at the point. If you open 2 instance of ArcMap containing a layer from the database where the version was created and modify/add/delete a record in one of the ArcMap instances, the second ArcMap instance you have opened does not know of the change made synchronously. It has to be refreshed or the data needs be reloaded in ArcMap for the changes to be visible in the second map document.
This is a behavior for any version in ArcMap and there is refresh tool on the versioning toolbar in ArcMap that handles this scenario.

This is exactly what is going on when you load data through the ArcCatalog window while in a Workflow Manager - ArcMap session. There is no way to automatically synchronize the records that you have loaded into the version. You will have to use the same tool on the versioning toolbar to refresh the version in order to see your updates. Alternatively, you can use a GP tool to load the data as part of the workflow before running the open ArcMap step. The other option is to run the workflow within ArcMap after you have finished loading your data. This last option will repoint the layers to the version and will ensure that any changes that were made earlier is visible in your map session.

I have spoken with the Aeronautical solution team and they will update documentation or the Task Assistant Workflow shipped with the template to address this situation.

I hope this helps explain the situation better. 

Thanks,
Tope
0 Kudos