how to migrate ArcGIS Workflow Manager (service-driven) from one environment to another environment

06-22-2022 07:58 PM
SirishByreddy
New Contributor III

Hi All,

ArcGIS enterprise version: 10.9.1

We are using ArcGIS Workflow Manager Server (service-driven) and we have approximately 60+ different workflow diagrams, different job templates with extended properties, email templates and configurations etc..

Is there anyway or approach to migrate these workflow diagrams, job templates, email templates from environment to another environment (Ex: from UAT environment to PROD environment) instead of recreating all. Thanks.

Regards,
Sirish

0 Kudos
16 Replies
JFarmer
Esri Contributor

Hi @SirishByreddy 

We are working on a solution for importing and exporting parts of a Workflow Manager deployment (diagrams, job templates, etc). This is on our near-term roadmap but I do not have a firm date on when this will be available.

However, this can be done now using our Python API. We're also working on a sample script that you can use to get started and should have that ready in the next week or two. I'll post back here once we have that ready to go.

Thanks,

Jonathan

bmcc
by
New Contributor II

Hi @JFarmer,

Has there been any progress on this sample script?

I am in a similar situation to @sirishb, and will shortly be embarking on a project to automate the duplication of workflow manager assets between Portals with the Python API.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Blair

0 Kudos
JFarmer
Esri Contributor

Hi Blair,

We're working on this, sorry for the delay. Hope to have something here for you both soon.

Jonathan

0 Kudos
sirishb
New Contributor III

Hi @JFarmer ,

Thank you for the update and python api script will help us to proceed further. Thanks.

Regards,

sirish 

0 Kudos
JFarmer
Esri Contributor

Hi @sirishb @bmcc @SirishByreddy 

Thanks for your patience while we got this work done.

There is a public repository on GitHub for Workflow Manager samples. There is now a directory for service-based code that has been written such as the admin tools (import/export) and the reconcile/post tool that may be published as a GP service to automate this task in workflows. As new Python tools are written for repeatable tasks or updates are made for newer versions of the software, they will be uploaded here.

Workflow Manager Service-based Samples:

https://github.com/Esri/workflowmanager-samples/tree/master/ServiceBased

Let me know if you have any questions. We are working on 11.0 sample scripts as it's a little different there. Those should be up soon.

Jonathan

bmcc
by
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot @JFarmer.

Is there a way to migrate multiple job templates which use the same extended properties table to the same workflow?

Multiple job templates can be created against the same table by using the duplicate job template button in the Workflow Manger web app. However, when attempting to migrate the second job template to a new workflow with the Python API it returns an error:

Duplicate extended property table name(s) found: test_table_01
(Error Code: 0)

This seems to be because the table gets created when the first job template is migrated, but when the same extended table properties are specified for the second job template the API attempts to create that same table again rather than assigning the existing table to the job template.

I have not been able to find a solution to this with the tool I have been working on. I have tested this sample code and found the same limitation, do you know of a solution for this?

Thanks,

Blair

0 Kudos
sirishb
New Contributor III

Thanks a lot @JFarmer.

We are also facing the similar problem for "import/export" as mentioned by 'Blair'.

We are facing an issue in 'reconcile/post tool', when we try to execute getting error "Version already in edit mode. Only one user can be editing a branch version". We have not been able to find a solution to this with the tool and we are working on this. Any suggestion/solution for this?.

Thanks.

Sirish

0 Kudos
Haley_Clowes
New Contributor II

Hi @JFarmer , 

I have a similar use case in which I would like to duplicate a Workflow Manager Project within an Enterprise 11.0 environment. I don't suppose the 11.0 sample scripts are available yet please?

Many Thanks, 

Haley

0 Kudos
JFarmer
Esri Contributor

Hi @Haley_Clowes 

You can use the existing 10.9.x scripts as-is for 11.0 with one caveat that you will need to tweak the code a bit if you have extended property tables shared with multiple job types.

On a related note, we've built import / export functionality into the Workflow Manager REST API for the 11.1 release which should help. We have it on the near-term roadmap to get it into the web app itself.

Jonathan