Creating Workflow Manager Jobs from other application

02-12-2014 01:49 PM
BradySmith
Occasional Contributor
Is it possible to initiate a Workflow Manager job from a different application? We were looking options for non GIS users (A DBA) to initiate a job that would run automatically but can't seem to find any information on how this may be possible? We are using version 10.2 Desktop and Server.Thanks in advance for any help finding the information we need.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III
Yes, you can do this by creating a tool using our desktop API or Server APIs (JavaScript, Flex, Silverlight). Take a look at the samples available here -
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/communities/workflow-manager/
With the desktop API for workflow manager you can create standalone applications to create your jobs. The server extension provides you with similar experience where you create a website for creating job. You could add that capability to existing sites within your organization. You could also create a widget to create the jobs.
There are links to the web api's at the resource center link that I shared above.

I hope this was helpful.

Thanks,
Tope
0 Kudos
BradySmith
Occasional Contributor

We ran into this problem a while ago and found that it was quite a bit of overhead to set up workflow manager service for a dba to request if that is the only person that will use it. It is possible to run a geoprossessing service from a URL especially if they do not have any parameters.. It just takes a little research into the submitting requests using the REST API.

0 Kudos
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, using the REST API is certainly a preferred option because of cross platform usability. I would suggest exploring the viewers available on the workflow manager resource center to see how these things are done.

There is video here showing how to use our JavaScript API in creating jobs via a standalone website - http://video.esri.com/watch/3263/getting-started-with-the-workflow-manager-web-apis

0 Kudos