Adding a feature class as extended or linked properties table in Workflow Manager

Jump to solution
02-07-2012 07:52 AM
AlaaB__Rasheed
New Contributor
Hi all,

I wonder if it is supported to add a feature class as a linked property table to a job type in ArcGIS Workflow Manager?

We have a scenario where an in-field user will use a custom iOS-based application through which the user will receive jobs from Workflow Manager for surveying areas. Users can add textual description of issues and discrepancies they find in reality than the maps. They can also draw sketches for highlighting problematic areas.

What we are trying to achieve through ArcGIS Workflow Manager is to allow users to draw polygons and have them attached to a job. However, when we tried adding polygons using ArcMap and linking them to jobs, the Workflow Manager desktop application is complaining with the message: "cannot set shape column the value exceeds the max limit". In addition, when using the rest API of Workflow Manager, shapes are returned as nulls.

I am not sure if this is a supported scenario that job is linked to a polygon feature class. Any insight or help on this would be really great.

Regards,
Alaa
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

Yes, you can add a feature class as an extended properties record.
We support geographic dataset as an extended properties data type - see this topic

You will also be able to use the same calls for updating extended properties if you want to automatically add the feature class as an extended properties through tokens via the rest API.

Have you explored this option?

Thanks,
Tope

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

We support geographic dataset as an extended properties data type - see this topic

You will also be able to use the same calls for updating extended properties if you want to automatically add the feature class as an extended properties through tokens via the rest API.

Thanks,
Tope
0 Kudos
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
Hi,

Thanks,
Tope

Tope, perhaps Im reading this thread wrong.

I need to use (or wish to use) a versioned feature class as an extended properties table. The way I read the original posters topic is that he wishes to do the same. The topic you pointed to seems to indicate you can set the extended property data type to be a "feature class" and that the name of the feature class is stored in the extended property table. Which isnt what Im trying to achieve.

For my scenario I wish to use a feature class (which is versioned) as the actual extended properties table. This is to allow the user to edit a value on the feature class without diving into ArcMap simply to update 1 value.

Not sure if that is possible. Im looking at Python but it seems it has issues with updating versioned data in cursors.

Thanks
Trevor
0 Kudos
KevinBedel
Esri Contributor
It is possible to use a feature class as the source for extended properties, although you should not enable any of the system fields within the feature class (Object ID, Job ID, shape, etc). As well, this will only work with non-versioned feature classes, as Workflow Manager does not edit the extended properties inside an edit session.
0 Kudos
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
Thanks Kevin, we needed to update the value in a versioned feature class. Pyhton cursors dont suppport versioned FC's so we had to use the calculate value/field tool in a Python script and that worked fine. So the python script creates a temporary connection to the job version workspace, creates a fearure layer, select the record and then does a calculate. Works like a charm - the only issue is that the user has to enter the ID of the feature (that they need to update) into the extended properties.
0 Kudos