WebApp builder (basically everything) crashed. Please help!

Jump to solution
07-08-2015 11:17 AM
TaN
by
New Contributor II

I was trying to create a custom in-panel widget using the online tutorial (Create a custom in-panel widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developer...​). I didn't succeed with Step 8. But I went ahead, skipped to step 10, and deployed my widget. I got an error that said: "create widget error: widgets/MyWidget/Widget". I tried tweaking stuff around in Widget.js and Widget.html files. And nothing worked. When I tried to reload my WebApp builder page, I kept getting this crash page:

Screenshot 2015-07-08 14.08.38.png

I also get this same message when I try to load my web app viewer (demo json) page

MyWidget seemed to work pretty well a few hours ago (it showed up as a widget in my WebApp Builder before everything crashed)

Screenshot 2015-07-08 12.09.58.png

Here are My Widget files, please help!!!!!!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ta N,

So the first issue I found was that your widgets manifest.json file was missing the last closing "}" (strange, it looks like you have sublime as your IDE, not sure why it did not catch this).

Also based on your screenshots you may not be using the correct url. Here is how my url would look for step 8.

"http://gislap183:3344/webappviewer/?config=sample-configs/config-demo.json"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
TaN
by
New Contributor II

I was able to recover the WebApp builder, but the web app viewer still doesn't display my config-demo.json file. The page is blue for two seconds, as if it is loading, and then it turns completely white. Is there an error in MyWidget files?

Thank you for any help!!

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ta N,

So the first issue I found was that your widgets manifest.json file was missing the last closing "}" (strange, it looks like you have sublime as your IDE, not sure why it did not catch this).

Also based on your screenshots you may not be using the correct url. Here is how my url would look for step 8.

"http://gislap183:3344/webappviewer/?config=sample-configs/config-demo.json"

0 Kudos
TaN
by
New Contributor II

Hi Robert!

Thank you so much! Adding in the missing } did the trick, as did checking the URL. I'm coming up with that same create widget error, and I've read some past question chains regarding this error (which were also answered by you!) So I tried fixing my properties in manifest.json but I'm still getting this error. Any ideas?

Thank you again!

TA

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ta N,

Strange I made those corrections using your files you provided and the widget load in WAB just fine.

Here is your files with the corrections.

0 Kudos
TaN
by
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

I downloaded your zip file, but I'm still getting the same error message when I un-comment the startup function in Widget.js and un-comment the <div data-dojo-attach-point="mapIdNode"></div>  in Widget.html.

How can I get the startup function to work, so that I can display the map id?

Sorry for the hassle!

TA

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

TA,

The thing that you have to pay attention to is that the contents of the js file are overall a big object and all things need to be seperated by a comma (this is easier to show than explain). See my comments in the code about commas.

define(['dojo/_base/declare', 'jimu/BaseWidget'],
function(declare, BaseWidget) {
  //To create a widget, you need to derive from BaseWidget.
  return declare([BaseWidget], {
    // Custom widget code goes here 

baseClass: 'jimu-widget-mywidget', //<-- I added a comma here

//this property is set by the framework when widget is loaded.
     //name: 'CustomWidget',

//methods to communication with app container:

// postCreate: function() {
    //   this.inherited(arguments);
    //   console.log('postCreate');
    // },
    startup: function(){
      this.inherited(arguments);
      this.mapIdNode.innerHTML = 'map id:' + this.map.id;
    }//<-- if you uncomment the next function after this one then you will have to add a comma here
0 Kudos
TaN
by
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

I know commas are required, but even when I uncomment all the functions (with commas after each function except for the last one), I still get the same error message. Initially, I chose to have the startup function stand alone (be the only un-commented function) so that's why it lacks a comma.

Does this error have anything to do with restarting Node? How do I restart Node?

Thank you!

TA

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

TA,

What about the comma after "baseClass" do you have that one?

TaN
by
New Contributor II

Wow, thank you! The comma after baseClass did the trick. I didn't think to add a comma when "baseClass" stands alone (is it referred to as an "object"?).

The web app viewer works, but the web app builder is still giving me the error. Is this another syntax thing?

Additionally, since I am trying to create a custom app and I have limited JS experience, should I start by learning Javascript or should I focus on Dojo? The developers site is pointing me to Dojo (Create a Re-usable Widget | Guide | ArcGIS API for JavaScript ) and it says I can create a widget with little to no Javascript.

Thank you, Robert, for your generous help thus far.

TA

0 Kudos