Web AppBuilder Install Nightmare

Jump to solution
12-22-2014 03:29 PM
AndrewMilanes
Occasional Contributor II

I can't seem to get the released version of Web AppBuilder installed as a service.  I had to change to port 3347, since the beta version ran on 3344.  Don't know how to release that port.  I can get the new version running from the startup.bat file after changing the port.  I can also get the service installed, but it won't start.  Is it because it's trying to use port 3344?  Where can you change the port when you install as a service?

This install is a major pain in the rear.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
AndrewMilanes
Occasional Contributor II

Yes, Windows Server 2008.

That explanation makes sense.  We're not developers in the slightest, so this workflow would be new to us.  We'll give that a shot.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I have to agree with Andrew.  I installed the WAB on my GIS Server thinking it had to be there to run the webmap (wrong because it actually runs through AGOL)  but anyways now I always get the message that essentially says I cannot establish a connection on port 3344 even though it worked previously.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If you haven't already, check out my blogs

Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder -  Developer Edition Installed

and once you start working with it. Web AppBuilder Developer Edition – Customization Resource List

these might help.  the resource list has many links to custom widgets, etc.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Lots of good info, the instructions aren't very clear (on the site, not the blog), does this have to be on a machine that runs Windows Server or can everything be done from a workstation?  I'm wondering about the second part of the below quoted post from Robert:

A standard installation and workflow would be to install WAB Dev edition on a Workstation do all you configuration and or development and then download the finished app and take that zip files contents and move that to your production web server.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Josh,

You can download and deploy your app on a standard Windows machine (non-server, assuming it has IIS). My comment was based on a normal production server environment.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Ok, that's what I needed to know, if IIS is required, I would need to figure out my security issue on the ports on my Windows Server machine.  I put in an email to IT to see if they can assist me.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
RaymondGoins
Occasional Contributor

I know this question is marked as answered but I found that the script is looking for the port as a LIKE instead of looking for the exact port as Rob pointed out. So port 13344 was open on my box and the script would fail.

To fix problem Edit the startup.bat file and change this line:

CALL :IsPortTaken %port%

(which is line 23)

to this

CALL :IsPortTaken port%

This will look for ports that start with 3344 but may still fail if you have port 3344x open

this would be best

CALL :IsPortTaken port

Since open ports are exact this would be the best option

Hope this helps

Ray

0 Kudos
JaclynMeade1
New Contributor II

I keep getting this error when trying to install.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jaclyn,

Did you install NodeJS? Here is step 2 from the getting started guide: Get started—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers

1. Because Web AppBuilder runs on top of Node.js, you must have Node.js installed on your computer. The download package contains the Windows version of node.js. 
    • If you are on a Windows platform, you can follow the steps in the next section to start Web AppBuilder.
    • If you are on a platform other than Windows, such as Mac or Linux, you need to install Node.js specifically on your platform first. In case you already have Node.js installed, make sure its version is 0.10.0 and later.
0 Kudos
ColeAndrews
Occasional Contributor III

Anyone have a suggestion when the startup.bat file runs and opens the browser to "Page cannot be displayed"? This is before it properly loads Web Appbuilder Dev and prompts for Portal URL.

0 Kudos