Question about WAB deployment.

01-26-2017 11:42 AM
AnNguyen3
New Contributor

Hi All, 

I am very new with WAB, I've tried to build some widgets for my web-app used WAB 2.0.

so here is my question:

Can an App (with some costumed Widgets), that’s built in WAB that referenced/connected to ArcGIS Portal A, be deployed on a server that references or connects to ArcGIS Portal B?

If can, please tell  me what step I need to do. 

Thanks, 

An  Nguyen 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm assuming since you are using custom widgets that you are using the developer edition of WAB.  In case you aren't aware, the current version is 2.3 (released Mid January 2007).

For announcements, a list of custom widgets and some tips on creating you own widgets, you may want to look at the /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2016/03/09/web-appbuilder-developer-edition-customization-resource-list?sr=search...

Although I haven't tried this, my guess is you could probably do this as long as you created a AppID in the second Portal and then replace this in the proper WAB app file.  sorry, I am not near a computer to test this.  You would also need to make sure that the (same?) data resources are available.

AnNguyen3
New Contributor

Rebecca, 

Unless you have another way to deploy that  makes it work, but I've failed  many time trying it today. 

I am not sure what the reason, but here are my guesses

1. Based Map: if I am using the costumed maps created with ArcGIS Portal A for the WAB, then obviously these maps are going to be failed on loading when deploying the app at ArcGIS Portal B

2. API reference: most of API references (for customed Widets) are NOT recognized  under new environment.  we need to have a WAB package at production server to rerun/recompile the code, and make things work. Other than that, I don't know how it works

Please point me out if I am wrong. 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

1. Based Map: if I am using the costumed maps created with ArcGIS Portal A for the WAB, then obviously these maps are going to be failed on loading when deploying the app at ArcGIS Portal B

I take it that they can't see each other at all then.  Are they on-premise  Portal installs?  What version?  With version 10.5 they are adding Portal-to-Portal sharing, but they still need to be able to see each other.  onsite Portal 10.5 to AGOL is not possible yet.  Derek Law‌ may be able to talk more about that.

2. API reference:...

Are you talking about the JavaScript API?  If working on stratght Javascript, I world use the 3.x and look at the samples/sandbox Web APIs | ArcGIS for Developers  and not use 4.0 yet (still being developed)

If developing new Web App Builder dev edition apps, I would definitely start with the latest version 2.3.  If you are going to create you own widgets for WAB, I would start Development overview—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers      but I will tag https://community.esri.com/groups/web-app-builder-custom-widgets?sr=search&searchId=cbf123e6-e495-41...‌ to to give you more exposure.  I keep the resource list for the custom widgets others have creted, and use some mysel, but I actually have not created any, so not the one that can answer a whole lot about the widget development.

If you are using the ArcGIS Online version of WAB, you can sometime download and import into the dev edition and host on you local machine....but they can also get out of sync, that is, different version/releases and thay can make them incompatible.  So, version control is important.   Usually AGOL-WAB gets updated 3-4 times per year, the dev edition follows up about 6 weeks later, and the (on-site) Portal version get update once or twicea years.  So, if you plan to mix and match, they may not work.

In any case, it would help for you to include more details of version being used, what error messages you are getting (you may need to capture output from the dev tool in your browser...F12 turns them on in some of the browsers), what browser and version you are using, whether you have tried in multiple browsers and/or machines, what type of security you are working with (i.e. are they both behind firewalls, same/different domain or network), etc.  There are many things that can make things work and hard to offer much advice without more details.  Too many possibilities.

I would also suggest doing some browser searches with any error messages...someone might have had a similar issue.

0 Kudos