Dynamically Update Shapefile from Teams Excel File

03-30-2021 11:28 AM
Kelin_Field
New Contributor II

My newest project is to find a way to use our Microsoft Teams Excel file to dynamically/automatically control the styled color of our shapefiles in our online map.

Desired Function:  Teams member changes the "Status" column of an easement within Excel file in Teams which then updates the color of the easement in the ArcGIS Online map.

I know this can be done manually by exporting and amending files to our ArcGIS portal and I also know this can be done with ArcGIS Server.  I am looking for a script or process that can automate this as much as possible without going overboard and having to get Server as we only need color/status changes to be read from our Excel progress tracker.  Syncs between the SharePoint Excel file and the map don't need to be instantaneous.

I was assuming since the Excel file is hosted online and is already "live" so to speak, that new data would be updated when the map was refreshed but cannot find a good way to point ArcGIS to the hosted excel file and pull the specific column from the sheet in order to join it with my shapefiles.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

I've had some luck using maps for office! Once you have it installed, you can connect to features hosted on ArcGIS online. My coworker sent me an excel sheet containing a table of values including an ID field that matches up with an attribute in the AGOL feature layer. I created a map in excel, made it accessible to my coworker and they edit the status field. Once the updates are made they can overwrite the layer in AGOL. As a bonus, you can see the polygon colors change as the status is updated in excel BEFORE publishing the layer.

see screen shots here: Re: Connecting Excel Table to Arcgis Pro - Esri Community

Hopefully this works in teams!

0 Kudos
Kelin_Field
New Contributor II

Thanks Sarah!  I have been waiting to try out maps for Office but I have been having trouble with Esri getting me a download link.  We have a Creator license so we have access to maps for Office but they cannot seem to get us a way to install it.

0 Kudos