Basemap Gallery widget not displaying correct custom basemap options

02-22-2018 09:32 AM
KyleWikstrom
Occasional Contributor II

I'm experiencing odd behavior in the Web AppBuilder Basemap Gallery widget. Here is a breakdown of the situation.

• The ArcGIS Online organization has a group setup that contains the Esri vector basemaps (web maps).
  • This group's web maps (the vector basemaps) are configured to show in the organization's Basemap Gallery (done through Organization > Edit Settings > Map > Basemap Gallery setting).
  • A web map was created that uses the Topographic map by Esri as the basemap (Item ID = 588f0e0acc514c11bc7c898fed9fc651).
  • The web map was shared to create a Web AppBuilder app, and the Basemap Gallery widget was configured with the option to "Configure custom basemaps".
  • Five of the web maps (basemaps) were imported from the "Organization default", and the Basemap Gallery widget configuration was saved.
  • ISSUE: When opening the Basemap Gallery widget, six basemap options appear. In the screenshot below, none of the options have been chosen yet. The map is still displaying the basemap setup in the web map.

• ISSUE: When the Topographic basemap option is selected, the map displays what appears to be the basemaps hillshade layer but not the reference layer.

• ISSUE: When the second Topographic options is selected (the one I do not believe should be there because it is displaying the thumbnail for the web map being used in this app), the map displays what appears to be the correct basemap.

I have configured this widget many times before, and have observed this behavior only recently, and in one other Web AppBuilder app that I've configured. Below is the Basemap Gallery widget configuration used.

Have any others discovered this behavior? What can be done to fix the configuration of the app (or the web map basemap or the organization basemap group)? Am I overlooking a piece involved in this? Is this a bug introduced in a recent update to Web AppBuilder, and if so, is there a workaround and will the issue be resolved in an upcoming update?

I've included URLs to the content below.

This is not an urgent issue, but more of a nuisance. It will be helpful to know if there is currently a workaround or resolution to it.

Thanks Community!

Kyle

15 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Kelly - thanks for getting back to me on this. Feels like 2 related (related through the use of living atlas content maybe?) but separate bugs, one with the WAB and another with Pro. For Pro users, I just stopped using collaborated web map items as basemaps in our AGOL's custom basemap gallery group. This is ok because I can still use my custom basemap layer items in the AGOL webmap/basemaps.

For the Wab Development Edition basemap gallery widget, I have just kept using the non-sync option since this has already been reported as a bug.  I'm still at 2.12, and this may not be an issue at 2.14

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

or 2.15

0 Kudos
KarynTareen
New Contributor III

We're using current version of arcgis online with a very simple setup.

We have a custom group, that includes some of the Esri standard basemaps, plus 1 custom basemap (NY State Aerials).
We configured the organization Basemap Gallery to our new custom group.
We created an app using AGOL built-in WebApp Builder and configured it to synchronize with the organization basemap gallery.

When logged in to AGOL, we see the basemaps in the custom group, but viewed anonymously, (public) we only see the esri basemaps. All of them.  Yes, the group is shared publicly.

David Coley‌, did you get a fix?

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Karyn, no I did not. For both the online (December 2019 release), enterprise (10.7.1 release ), and developer (2.12 release) the workaround remains to select your basemaps from your custom gallery, using the non-sync option.  I wish they'd get it fixed, it's alot of work when you have to maintain 16 wabs  . . . 

BrianJohnston4
New Contributor III

In my case, using Web AppBuilder 2.24, I kept getting an extra basemap which duplicated the Dark Canvas basemap, but had the wrong thumbnail showing.  I traced the issue to "bug" (could be a feature) in the basemap widget code.  I went into widget.js and commented out the following code found  starting on line number 146

// if(i === basemaps.length) {
          //   basemaps.push(webmapBasemap);
          // }
0 Kudos
ATFerguson
New Contributor II

I know the WAB is nearint the end of its support cycle, but I figured I'd share my solution. I was facing the same issue when trying to host custom basemaps that weren't in WKID 102100/3857. I was able to workaround this issue by editing widgets/BasemapGallery/esri_tileinfo.json to match the Tile Info in my VectorTileServer item.

0 Kudos