Select to view content in your preferred language

Identify Widget: Displaying Subtype Data

Jump to solution
03-13-2013 06:26 AM
NicholasMcNamara
Occasional Contributor II
My subtype data does not display for some reason. I have 2 operational services, and probably 40 layers, and in none of them my subtype data displays. However, all the other data appear just fine. Am I missing something or is it just not possible to display that type of data?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
NicholasMcNamara
I configured a popup for a water mains layer. It correctly translates the subtype into the correct name. If I use the identify tool in this example, it actually takes a value from another coded value domain and uses that, which I find baffling (the coded value for diameter).

So Identify returns 6" for the subtype and 6" for the diameter, while the popup correctly returns "Hydrant Leg" for the subtype and 6" for the diameter.

The other issues I was having with the subtype - one was working correctly, and a bunch of them returned blanks (nothing) for the results.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Nick,

Is this something that you can help me address by make you data available to me so I can test and diagnose the issue with my widget (if one exists)?
0 Kudos
NicholasMcNamara
OK, I think I could create a subset of the data by removing most of it except for a few records that you could use for testing. I'm wondering what the minimum you would need for testing would be - maybe a few feature classes that I'm using that have subtypes, thrown in a small file gdb?
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Nick,

That would be fine. So I take it your mapservice is not publicly available?
0 Kudos
NicholasMcNamara
No, the services are not publicly available, they are just on our intranet for employees. I'm attaching a zip file of a couple feature classes. The manholes class works when identified. With the others, I've had issues.
0 Kudos
NicholasMcNamara
I'm not sure if this was resolved or not. I'm going to mark it resolved and open a new thread, because I'm not sure if the issues I have now are the same ones as before... it seems like many of the subtypes are working, but I'm missing data in some fields, and not all of them are subtypes.
0 Kudos
JeffMachamer
New Contributor III

I know this is an old forum post, but I just wanted to respond saying that I'm seeing similar results with data we are working with.

Oddly enough, we can resolve this issue by adding a field to the database table and NOT republishing the map service.  After that the subtype values return just fine.

If at some point you republish the map service it starts returning bad data for the subtype field again.  At that point if you remove the dummy column you added it begins to work again.

We have raised an issue with ESRI, but they claim that the IdentifyTask does not support returning subtype data and have filed this as an Enhancement Request instead of a bug.  We are currently waiting to hear back from a technical person on this "enhancement request" to see if it will be resolved.

Jeff Machamer

3-GIS

FilipJung
Occasional Contributor

Hi folks,

we have got the same problems with displaying subtype values in IdentifyTask. Can someone from Esri provide a linko to the enhancement request, so we can assure our customer, that the problem is not with our application?

Thanks.

Filip

0 Kudos
JeffMachamer
New Contributor III

We were provided a fix:  ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 QIP for Server hot fix QFE-101SP1QIP-S-305022

There was also a 10.2 version:  QFE-1022-S-299337

They listed the following in the hotfix notes as issues being addressed:

NIM097394 - The Identify tool does not display the domain and subtype description when a feature class has a join.

NIM103847 - Identify from REST returns null as the objectid for the feature from a layer that has join but no match is found for that feature in the joined table.

While none of those issues seem to be related to our issue, it did seem to fix the problem.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

FilipJung
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jeff,

thank you for answer. I was however not able to find mentioned patches (I had a look in here​, but I was not able to find the one associated with NIMs in your post).

Can you please provide me with a link or the date of issuing that patch so I am able to locate it?

Thank you very much.

Filip

0 Kudos