Select to view content in your preferred language

Identify Widget: Displaying Subtype Data

Jump to solution
03-13-2013 06:26 AM
NicholasMcNamara
Occasional Contributor II
My subtype data does not display for some reason. I have 2 operational services, and probably 40 layers, and in none of them my subtype data displays. However, all the other data appear just fine. Am I missing something or is it just not possible to display that type of data?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Nick,

That would be fine. So I take it your mapservice is not publicly available?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Nicholas,

I just tested and subtype codes are returning fine for me... Is your subtype based on a code value domain? Is your subtype listed in the REST service directory for that particular layer?
0 Kudos
NicholasMcNamara
I noticed that I actually have one layer that is working with the identify widget with subtypes, but only one. Also, the eSearch widget displays all of them just fine.

The subtypes are just listed in the Subtypes: section in the feature class properties, with a code and a description. It's a long integer field. The subtype field is set to the "subtypeCode." The fields in the 2 tables are the same data type (long integer), same length, same name. Of course, they have different codes and descriptions.

I compared the working layer - manholes - to one of the nonworking layers - poles, and I don't see a difference in the REST service directory for the layers. As it's working with eSearch, I'd think it'd have something to do with the identify widget config, but I really dont' see anything there. I have the same values for the 2 layers and one works, while all the others don't.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Nicholas,

OK, So comparing the the eSearch and the Identify result (from a developers stand point) is like comparing apples and oranges, they use totally different base tasks from the API. The identify task normally returns all values just like you would see in ArcMap i.e subtype, domains, formatting, etc already applied. I have not seen it work otherwise as of yet. There is nothing that you have to configure in the IdentifyWidget.xml as normally the IdentifyTask handles all of this by itself.

1. So are you saying that you see the long integer value instead of the subtype description right?

2. Are these layer adding in the main config xml as type dynamic or feature or what?

0 Kudos
NicholasMcNamara
OK, I just mentioned that eSearch worked because that would seem to eliminate an issue with my service or the layer itself.

1. I'm actually getting no data returned for those fields at all.
2. The operational layers are type dynamic.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Nicholas,

What happen when you set the IdentifyWidget.xml to:

<layers onlythese="false">
and remove the whole layer tag for that layer that is giving you trouble?
0 Kudos
NicholasMcNamara
I got the same results. No data for the subtype fields in any layer, except for the one layer (manholes).
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Nicholas,

So what that tells me as the developer is that it has nothing to do with the way you have the widget configured it has to do with the way the data is being returned from ArcGIS Server in the Identify Task. I will add this to my list of things to look at when time permits.
0 Kudos
NicholasMcNamara
I still have issues with my subtypes with identify. I just made a new one today - short integer coded field for pipe types. For some reason, it's displaying data that it's not even coded for - no explanation for this... it's displaying the data from another domain entirely - pipe size. Looking in REST in Server Manager, everything displays correctly, but not in Identify. Have you gotten a chance to look into these issues?
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Nick,

have you attempted to configure a popup for one of your layers with asubtype that is not behaving properly in the identify results? From what I am seeing it is an issue with the Servers identify task results.
0 Kudos