Trace Error

Jump to solution
04-21-2022 05:40 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am trying to run upstream/downstream traces on stormwater and sewer but keep getting an error stating "no valid subnetwork controllers found". All of the features have elevation and are gravity based. Which subnetwork controllers need to be in place for this to work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was finally able to get the trace to work for the sewer utility network. There were a couple steps missing. After using Modify Controller to define the treatment plant as a subnetwork controller, I needed to validate the topology and save the edits. Then I ran the Update Subnetwork tool. After that, everything worked smoothly. Thanks to each of you for pointing me in the right direction.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Up and Downstream traces require a subnetwork controller.  For example, in sewer, this would be the treatment plant.  

More info on how up and downstream work:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.7/help/data/utility-network/utility-network-trace-types.htm#:~:t....

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So I won't be able to run these traces for sewer until the network I am drawing connects to a treatment plant?

What about the stormwater? The network properties list pipe outlets as subnetwork controllers and I have several of those in what I have digitized so far, but I'm getting the same error.

0 Kudos
AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

Justin,

It depends on what feature you have defined to be a subnetworkcontroller. In the UN model for Electric that we have built ourselves, we have a dedicated ElectricDevice feature for this. The reason is that it requires the terminal configuration to be directional and in Electrical we can have electricity flowing in either direction depending on the configuration of the network at that point in time and didn't want the users to be constantly changing the terminal connection if a type of asset (eg. switch) was used as the controller.

Good luck with this

0 Kudos
AlexKabak
Esri Contributor

Hi Justin,

For Stormwater, have you defined each pipe outlet as a subnetwork controller? This is done using the Modify Controller tool. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was finally able to get the trace to work for the sewer utility network. There were a couple steps missing. After using Modify Controller to define the treatment plant as a subnetwork controller, I needed to validate the topology and save the edits. Then I ran the Update Subnetwork tool. After that, everything worked smoothly. Thanks to each of you for pointing me in the right direction.