Proper use of Condition Barrier in subnetwork

04-28-2022 10:14 PM
PierreloupDucroix
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I don't understand the behavior of the condition barrier when tracing my subnetworks :

I have a subnetwork with several stations containing transformers, they are all the same, with a specific field (switchingStatusNormal) set to Close, using a domain.

This field is using a network attribute (Normal Status of the Switch), so the value is cached in my subnetwork.

When I try to trace my subnetwork, I set up the condition barrier so that it stops when a value of Close is detected for my attribute Normal Status of the Switch. But not all the transformers are detected as barriers. Some are, some aren't, and I don't understand why.

PierreloupDucroix_0-1651209131212.png

Another weird behavior is I don't see any difference when checking or unchecking "Include barrier features". I think it should include or not the transformers, which are barriers...

If you have any advice...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

I cannot comment on the barrier issue, your use of the network attribute is correct, maybe there is a connectivity issue to the xfrs that are not being returned.

Another weird behavior is I don't see any difference when checking or unchecking "Include barrier features". I think it should include or not the transformers, which are barriers...

- This is a known issue on terminal devices.  They are not removed when they are barriers and the include barrier features is unchecked.   

0 Kudos
PierreloupDucroix

Thanks, Mike, I checked everything one more time and indeed there was a connection problem, but before my transformers. The cable that is between the two stations was not properly connected to one of the switches that leads to the transformer. Therefore, one of the transformer was not part of my subnetwork. It is somehow weird that both of them were part of the selection when I traced the subnetwork...

For the second point, I understand this is an issue. I have another abnormal behavior :

My transformers are "contained in" the stations. They are the only features in association with the stations, so to trace the station I have to go through the transformers. Does the issue above affects this ? In example, if I exclude the transformers from my result, I should not have the stations selected, but since the barriers features are included anyway, I do have the stations selected. (I do have the "include container" option checked, of course).

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

When you say Exclude Transformers from the result, are you using an output filters?  These occur after trace and all the selection has happened.  So since a terminal device is always returned in a trace, when it is a barrier, that means it container will be returned even if it is filtered out in an output filter.

0 Kudos
PierreloupDucroix

No, I meant I exclude transformers with a condition barrier again. Let's be clearer :

I have a Network Category "Transfo" applied to my transformers. I created a subnetwork definition that stops when a category is equal to "Transfo". Now I trace my subnetwork using this definition in the Trace tool.

What is the expected behavior when I trace my subnetwork :

- When I uncheck the "include container" option -> obviously the stations are not selected by the tool

- When I check the "include container" option -> my stations are selected, but I would say they shouldn't, because the trace should stop at the transformer (because of the category), thus not including any container... Unless I also check the "include barrier features" option, but in this case I don't know what's expected.

Thanks

0 Kudos