Select to view content in your preferred language

Service Point (Electric Meter) Modeling within Panels

Jump to solution
09-19-2023 08:53 AM
PeterKing
Occasional Contributor

I was hoping to get recommended best practices for service points within a panel as we prepare to migrate our data from the GN to the UN

We currently have a mixture of service point modeling on our larger developments where some service points (meters) within a low voltage panel are daisy chained together with a single conductor running between each meter. Some meters are modeled as point-to-point, with the conductor beginning at the panel and terminating with the meter. 

Does the UN support both models or is there a specific model that is recommended?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardKoch
New Contributor III

Peter,

this is the beauty (and at times pain) of the UN,. It will let you do whatever you want/need. for instance, we have service points where there is a one-to-one bank to meter relationship and others where there are multiple meters under a single bank. We are able to have three phase and single-phase meters served from the same meter bank. Some directly off the transformer and others from their service conductors. so many choices (hence the pain comment).

some good guiding questions to ask are:

How do I want my data configured for reporting?

for transfer to downline systems?

for discovery when tracing?

based on my model how difficult will change out or additions be? (think how many clicks for my editors and how often do they perform these task)

I think working through such questions will help you pick the best path. 

kind regards

Richard Koch

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RichardKoch
New Contributor III

Peter,

this is the beauty (and at times pain) of the UN,. It will let you do whatever you want/need. for instance, we have service points where there is a one-to-one bank to meter relationship and others where there are multiple meters under a single bank. We are able to have three phase and single-phase meters served from the same meter bank. Some directly off the transformer and others from their service conductors. so many choices (hence the pain comment).

some good guiding questions to ask are:

How do I want my data configured for reporting?

for transfer to downline systems?

for discovery when tracing?

based on my model how difficult will change out or additions be? (think how many clicks for my editors and how often do they perform these task)

I think working through such questions will help you pick the best path. 

kind regards

Richard Koch

RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Everything Richard said is true, and I especially want to highlight his last statement "working through such questions will help you pick the best path". Because the UN has the flexibility to support all of these approaches (and other approaches) you should design a solution that will be best for your editors and your organizations then implement THAT solution. You can migrate all your data to conform to the new standard, train all your editors to maintain that standard going forward, and put quality assurance controls in place to make sure the standard is maintained.