02-22-2024 06:32 AM
MatheusSparapani
New Contributor III

Hi,

This is client system configuration:

• Utility Network version 5
  • ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1
  • ArcGIS Pro 2.9.7

How can I configure a network rule that can possibility to connect a feature in a one line, and, when I connect in a two lines, returned a dirty area, I think about (Junction-Edge Connectivity), but, when I connect other line in the point, I doesn't have a error.

MatheusSparapani_0-1708611199479.png
We have somes situations where we need to connect a point just in a end point/vertex.

Example: End Cap, we need to connect in a just one line, because this is a feature that connect in a end vertex.

This picture, we can see a End Cap connected in just one line, and, we doesn't have dirty area.

MatheusSparapani_1-1708611905191.png

And, in this other picture, I create other line that connect in a End Cap, and, we doesn't have dirty area too.

MatheusSparapani_2-1708612188286.png

I need a rule that returned error when I connect some features in two lines.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, junction edge rules only determine which features are allowed to connect but don't control the cardinality of the features that are allowed to connect. To do something like that you'd need to write something like a validation attribute rule to enforce the cardinality of connected lines.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, junction edge rules only determine which features are allowed to connect but don't control the cardinality of the features that are allowed to connect. To do something like that you'd need to write something like a validation attribute rule to enforce the cardinality of connected lines.

MatheusSparapani
New Contributor III

Thanks for answer Robert, then we can't configure a point feature to connect in just one line? if we configure the rule that allowed to connect, they will be able to receive more than one lines?

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

@MatheusSparapani Correct. you cannot configure a connectivity rule to constrain a junction to only connect to a single edge (causing a topology error to be created when this rule is violated). So, if users connect an end cap to two mains you can't create a topology error.

However, you can write an attribute rule that would identify and return this as a validation error that could be managed similarly to any quality assurance checks you have configured in your database.

BasWest1
New Contributor

@RobertKrisher I'm at the moment implementing validation rules to do these kind of checks. However, I have a problem that the feature is only being validated if it has been edited itself, but not when a connected feature has been edited.

So in the example of an endcap connected to two edges, it will generate an error when running the validation rule. However, when I correct the error by removing one of the pipes, the endcap will not be validated again, so the error is still being reported.

Do you have any suggestions how to handle that? 

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

@BasWest1 In the scenario above, dirty areas would be able to manage the status/validation of deleting the second pipe because all features involved have dirty areas with their own status fields. Based on this, I'm assuming, you're talking about a batch validation attribute rule right? If so, please start a new question for this discussion (since its a separate discussion with a separate, but important solution).

0 Kudos