Select to view content in your preferred language

Integrations with Relationship Classes

Jump to solution
05-23-2024 06:32 AM
MichaelParma
Regular Contributor

This is directed at @RobertKrisher but I hope this is beneficial to all interested in integrations.

In the Dev Summit video that dropped yesterday, Advanced Utility Network Customizations, you and Heath mentioned creating nonversioned table to store  SCADA/customer information and then using a relationship class and Arcade in popups to display that information in the webmaps. Is there any performance considerations when creating these relationship classes on the consolidated feature class. For instance, if I've created a relationship on Water Device intending to join customer information, does that have any unintended impact on performance when I'm trying to perform some analysis with other water devices, say meters and hydrants? I would not want an identify on hydrant to indicate a potential/unpopulated customer relationship, if that makes sense.

Thanks,
Mike

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

The relationship isn't strictly necessary, as long as you as you maintain primary/foreign keys. I also discuss the perils of joining your CIS data with your GIS features, exercise extreme caution with this because once you calculate it you need to maintain it (which doesn't work well for large customer bases). A dynamic lookup approach on a well-indexed, non-versioned table is more sustainable for a large dataset.

The beauty of popups is that they are configured at the subtype layer in maps, and that they are different for every map. You would only configure the customer information popup on something like a transformer (electric) or service point (electric, gas, water), and not on something like a switch (electric) or valve (gas, water).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor
Not sure a relationship class will work, unless you publish a service without version management.

We suggest using a client side relate. You can create them in pro or via arcade(not using feature set by relate) using a feature set query in a pop up
0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

The relationship isn't strictly necessary, as long as you as you maintain primary/foreign keys. I also discuss the perils of joining your CIS data with your GIS features, exercise extreme caution with this because once you calculate it you need to maintain it (which doesn't work well for large customer bases). A dynamic lookup approach on a well-indexed, non-versioned table is more sustainable for a large dataset.

The beauty of popups is that they are configured at the subtype layer in maps, and that they are different for every map. You would only configure the customer information popup on something like a transformer (electric) or service point (electric, gas, water), and not on something like a switch (electric) or valve (gas, water).

0 Kudos
MichaelParma
Regular Contributor

Mike, ultimately we want to be able to publish within a service to make it widely available within a web application, without having to do something client side. So I think we'll initially pursue Robert's approach, first without the relationship, but table present in the map, and configure the popup accordingly.

Thanks, guys.

0 Kudos