Select to view content in your preferred language

Utility Network Compatibility with Azure SQL

Jump to solution
05-21-2024 12:53 PM
TSmith
by
Regular Contributor

Hello all, 

I was curious if Utility Networks are compatible with Azure SQL. I have not seen any information confirming or denying at this point. Setting up an Azure-SQL managed instance is quite different from a standard MSSQL Server install, so I am curious if there are any nuances/issues. Any information is appreciated, thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@TSmith 

Utility Network requires an ArcSDE Geodatabase. 

The ArcSDE Geodabase can be created in SQL Server.

ArcGIS 11.2 and ArcGIS Pro 3.2 requirements for Microsoft SQL Server—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentati...

FAQ: What SQL Server Database Versions Are Supported by ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Pro? (esri.com)

The ArcSDE Geodatabase is supported in the Azure SQL Database.

ArcGIS Enterprise in the cloud—ArcGIS Enterprise in the cloud | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

Requirements for using ArcGIS with databases in the cloud 

Limitations

If you do not use or cannot use the Esri cloud deployment tools to create the database, and you want to create a geodatabase in any of the supported database-as-a-service offerings listed above, you must use the Enable Enterprise Geodatabase geoprocessing tool to create a geodatabase. Do not use the Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool.

Operating system authenticated connections are not supported from ArcGIS clients to database-as-a-service offerings. Microsoft Azure Active Directory options are available when connecting to Azure SQL Database or Azure SQL Managed Instance.

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@TSmith 

Utility Network requires an ArcSDE Geodatabase. 

The ArcSDE Geodabase can be created in SQL Server.

ArcGIS 11.2 and ArcGIS Pro 3.2 requirements for Microsoft SQL Server—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentati...

FAQ: What SQL Server Database Versions Are Supported by ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Pro? (esri.com)

The ArcSDE Geodatabase is supported in the Azure SQL Database.

ArcGIS Enterprise in the cloud—ArcGIS Enterprise in the cloud | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

Requirements for using ArcGIS with databases in the cloud 

Limitations

If you do not use or cannot use the Esri cloud deployment tools to create the database, and you want to create a geodatabase in any of the supported database-as-a-service offerings listed above, you must use the Enable Enterprise Geodatabase geoprocessing tool to create a geodatabase. Do not use the Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool.

Operating system authenticated connections are not supported from ArcGIS clients to database-as-a-service offerings. Microsoft Azure Active Directory options are available when connecting to Azure SQL Database or Azure SQL Managed Instance.

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |