Select to view content in your preferred language

I need good explanation of Edge object and junction object and also SubnetLine

Jump to solution
06-10-2023 07:59 AM
spiderman90
Emerging Contributor

Hello , 

i would like to understand more about domain network especially edge object and junction object 

and also for structure network especially edge object and junction object 

could someone give me an example for each (GAS - electric distribution )  to understand them better .

what is the difference between object in structure and object in domain network ?

what does it exactly mean ?usage of both of them ?

please ,also about SubnetLine ,I need simple explanation if it is possible .

i have read some articles but I did not understand it well . 
thanks in advance 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

I recommend you download the electric utility network foundation and gas utility network foundation so you can look at the data model and their associated data model dictionaries (electric data dictionary, gas data dictionary).

The gas model doesn't make use of any of the non-spatial objects (edge object, junction object, structure edge object, or structure junction object).

There are many examples of these in the electrical model, I will provide one example of each to get you started. The wire (electrical edge object) is contained within an electrical cable (electric line), a transformer (electric junction object) contained in a transformer bank (electric device). A single duct (structure edge object) within a conduit system (structure line). A crossarm (structure junction object) attached to a medium voltage pole (structure junction).

You can find the definition of subnetwork lines in this page in the online help. They represent all the major linear features in a subnetwork, along with the summary statistics for that subnetwork and are used for visualization and reporting purposes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

I recommend you download the electric utility network foundation and gas utility network foundation so you can look at the data model and their associated data model dictionaries (electric data dictionary, gas data dictionary).

The gas model doesn't make use of any of the non-spatial objects (edge object, junction object, structure edge object, or structure junction object).

There are many examples of these in the electrical model, I will provide one example of each to get you started. The wire (electrical edge object) is contained within an electrical cable (electric line), a transformer (electric junction object) contained in a transformer bank (electric device). A single duct (structure edge object) within a conduit system (structure line). A crossarm (structure junction object) attached to a medium voltage pole (structure junction).

You can find the definition of subnetwork lines in this page in the online help. They represent all the major linear features in a subnetwork, along with the summary statistics for that subnetwork and are used for visualization and reporting purposes.

0 Kudos
DasheEbra
Frequent Contributor

Hi @RobertKrisher

I have been exploring the ElectricUNFoundation project and came across your comment regarding the JunctionObject in the electric industry. I would like to understand its benefits better. From what I gather, the project includes the following components:

1. MV Transformer Bank: This is an assembly that contains multiple devices, typically three transformers as shown in the example screen.

2. MV Transformer Device: These devices are contained within the transformer bank or assembly.

3. MV Transformer JunctionObject: This object is associated with the transformer device.

moebra_0-1686478710372.png

and based on my knowledge If we take the Transformer Bank as an example, usually the transformer banks contains multiple transformers (often3 transformers) as appeared in the following screen:

moebra_1-1686476564044.png

Based on my understanding, when we model a transformer bank, we typically represent it on the map by adding Assembly point (transformer bank for example) then adding three devices (transformers) as content within this assembly. Each device has its own terminals, eliminating the need for a separate table to define terminals or ports if we would like to know which port/terminal connected with another port/terminal or another Line.

Considering this, I'm having difficulty grasping the benefits of the JunctionObject. Could you provide further clarification or examples to help me better understand its purpose?

Thank you for your assistance in enhancing my understanding.

@robertopepato_bizpoke @PaulLeBlanc1 any feedback?

0 Kudos
spiderman90
Emerging Contributor

Thanks for ur reply .

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

There are multiple ways, all equally valid, to model your equipment. The short version is that you can use assemblies and devices if you want to represent all your features spatially OR you can use device points and junction objects if you want to just represent the location of the bank spatially and represent your units non-spatially.

Now for the details/history:

When the utility network was originally released there was no concept of non-spatial objects, so your choices were to

a) Model the bank of equipment an assembly and all the internals of the assembly as devices and junctions.

b) Model the bank of equipment as a device and use the device unit table to represent individual assets within the assembly.

Most customers chose the first approach because it allowed all of these objects to be included in the JSON files created by the Export Subnetwork tool.

When the utility network introduced non-spatial objects the "Device Unit" and "Wire Unit" tables in the model were replaced with the new non-spatial object tables: Electric Junction Object and Electric Edge Object. You can find examples of this in the newer Electric Utility Network Foundations by looking at the subnetworks that have names starting with "Essential". You can also just open the Electric Edge/Junction Object tables and navigate to specific examples (single phase transformers, fuses, etc).

DasheEbra
Frequent Contributor

Wow! appreciated dear, 

It's now clear to me the historical context and the options available for modeling equipment in the utility network. I appreciate your guidance on the different approaches.

With this new understanding, it appears that both methods of modeling the taps on the cable are valid as appears in the following screen. In method A, we can have three taps geometrically connected to the line, with each tap having its own phases. Alternatively, in method B, we can use a single tap associated with three JunctionObjects, where each JunctionObject represents a phase, and each JunctionObject is connected to a single fuse. And as you mentioned method A (3 spatial taps) is most recommended to be included in the JSON file.

moebra_0-1686506902510.png

If I've understood correctly, these are the two valid approaches for modeling and managing JunctionObjects. Please let me know if I've interpreted it accurately or if there are any additional considerations I should keep in mind.

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

It's not quite so clear cut, I recommend you spend time looking at the area I mentioned in the Electric Utility Network Foundation for examples. The two approaches you outlined above are both equally valid using the assembly/device approach. Example B looks like it would work for non-spatial objects, but based on the style of the diagram I don't think that is what is being depicted (it looks like documentation from the assembly/device model).

0 Kudos