Electric Network - Overhead to Underground

08-12-2021 03:18 PM
ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III

I am working with the Electric Distribution Management GDB from Arc Solutions and slowly trying to add my Electric Data from my current GDB to the Utility Network. Working thru all of the errors but one I cannot figure out is connecting an Overhead Medium Conductor and an Underground Medium Conductor. I have an Electric Junction (Medium Voltage Attachment-Riser) and when I run the Update Subnetwork tool, it does not connect the Overhead to Underground. I have even done the connectivity on connecting the conductor to the junction still with no luck on updating the Electric Subnet Line layer. 

Any advice on what I might be doing wrong??

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi! One thing to check (that has caught me a few times!) is the z value. Ensure that the z value is identical for the vertices of both lines where theyre supposed to connect, or it may not be able to follow the connectivity 🙂

let me know if thats not the fix and Ill have a better think 😊

0 Kudos
ModernElectric

Thank you for the reply Angela. Unfortunately, that did not do the trick. The Z-Value is identical. I have a rule in the Utility Network that is suppose to connect a 3-phase OH Electric Line to an UG Three Phase Electric Line via an Electric Junction. I also have the connectivity (Modify Associations) correct with the Electric Junction-Riser connected to the lines (To and From). I have no issue with an OH 3-phase to OH 2-phase or OH 1-phase connection with an Overhead Electric Junction. I am at a loss. I cannot really continue converting and building my model until I can connect the UG Riser Conductor to the OH lines. 

Appreciate any other advice that I might be overlooking.

0 Kudos
MikeGoggin
New Contributor II

Not sure it will help but a couple of thoughts:

Double check your EdgeJunctionEdge connectivity rule and make sure it allows the underground and overhead asset types to connect via a riser.

Unless configured the Riser is not a subnetwork tap so it can't be connected mid-span - if this is your case break the line and try connecting to the endpoint (I made this work in my dataset)

I would also recommend not using coincident connectivity for electric taps (I'm using this in an electrical term - meaning in your case a 3-phase line is coming off another 3-phase line) because UN phase propagation is driven by the phases current attribute (unless configured differently) of devices and junctions so when it hits the Riser it will propagate the phase of the Riser downstream.  In most cases, especially single phase taps, you will not want this.  So create some space and use connectivity associations to connect the OH to the Riser, the Riser can be connected to the endpoint of the underground.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Couple items

- How did you compare the vertices are equal?  The attribute dialog does round, so make sure to click into X and Y and Z to get the true numbers to compare them.  A python script could also be used to print them out.  I can mock one up later to print out the vertices if you want.

- Do you have propagation configured?  As Mike said, if that tap does not have the Phase Current set, it probably will not connect the downstream line.

- Are there are UN errors reported?

- Is that result you are showing the result of a find connected trace? 

0 Kudos
ModernElectric

Hello Mike:

I am unsure why the vertices would be different since I snapped the End-Points and Junctions to ensure they match. I verified via the attributes to make sure this was the case. I "Split" the electric line to get a clean end-point to snap the junction and other end-point line.

The phase(s) match from OH to Riser to UG. It works when I have an OH 3-Phase to an junction to an OH 1-phase. 

The specific location that I am working has no Utility Network Errors.

In this screen-shot, the thick purple line is from the Electric Subnet Line layer after running the Update Subnetwork. The junction is from the Electric Junction layer - Medium Voltage Attachment. Also, doing a trace using the "Connected" option, somehow shows that the junction/line is not connected.

The File GDB is from using the Utility Network Package Tools toolbox to prepare the GDB/UN/Feature Classes from the ArcSolutions Electric model. So, I am using the template and not a custom built one.

I am at a total loss here on why this isn't working.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

If you want to send me the asset package or fgdb UN, I can take a look.  mmiller@esri.com