Select to view content in your preferred language

Editing UN features in Field Maps

Jump to solution
06-20-2024 02:45 PM
maiam
by
New Contributor II

Is it possible to edit utility network feature services in Field Maps? I have seen some conflicting info on this ability and recommendations on ways to publish UN services for use in field maps. The use case is field crews currently edit valves in a valve maintenance map in field maps. They update attribute info on the valve like date of maintenance, status, etc. We are now migrating over to utility network and I am finding it hard to replicate their work flow. 

I have tried it a couple ways...

1) Published out map from pro where the layers reference the published UN service (water device specifically), with defined custom attribute expressions and definition queries per each layer. I can then create the form in field maps but the fields don't register that domains have been assigned. I think this is expected behavior as its looking at Water Device and not the subtypes assigned domains.

2) Published out map from pro where the layers are defined under a subtype group layer. This does not seem to be editable in field maps.

I am wondering if attribute editing for a UN layer is possible in field maps while still maintaining domains that are applied at the subtype level? 

Attached and linked is what I have found so far...

On subtype group layers being the preferred approach: Understanding the Differences Between Utility Network Maps (esri.com)

Limitations of that: Subtype group layers and tables—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rlyding
New Contributor III

@maiam I see your attached image you found my response in this thread. https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-utility-network-questions/publish-utility-network-subtype-displ...

To get domains to work at subtype level you will need to publish the UN symbolized by assetgroup (subtype).

This may also help. https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-utility-network-blog/best-practices-for-working-with-utility-ne...

Hopefully this will change in the future, but for now I think we are limited to publishing by assetgroup. I currently have valve collection setup with UN and Field Maps if you have a any specific questions.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 084114.pngScreenshot 2024-06-24 084035.png

View solution in original post

9 Replies
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

hi @maiam ,

Unfortunately I think the answer to your questions is within the limitations list in this documentation page: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/ios/use-maps/utility-network.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_D9E9DD1BAA784C79...

GlenShepherd_0-1718921873645.png

maiam
by
New Contributor II

Hi @GlenShepherd , thanks for the reply. I see this limitation with subtype group layers in field maps. I am curious if there is different way I can publish to have it editable in field maps and recognize domains that have been applied to certain subtypes? The two ways I have tried have not been successful.

0 Kudos
rlyding
New Contributor III

@maiam I see your attached image you found my response in this thread. https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-utility-network-questions/publish-utility-network-subtype-displ...

To get domains to work at subtype level you will need to publish the UN symbolized by assetgroup (subtype).

This may also help. https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-utility-network-blog/best-practices-for-working-with-utility-ne...

Hopefully this will change in the future, but for now I think we are limited to publishing by assetgroup. I currently have valve collection setup with UN and Field Maps if you have a any specific questions.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 084114.pngScreenshot 2024-06-24 084035.png

maiam
by
New Contributor II

Hi @rlyding, thank you for the reply. Yes, I found your response on another post among other resources and have gone down the rabbit hole in trying to figure out a solution that will fit for our group. I will try publishing by Asset group and see how that goes. We have some specific symbology for our field maps that I have handled with custom attribute expressions/ definition queries previously. I guess that will need to be left out for now. We are not using the UN symbology and we have our current symbology set up to change color as field workers update information.

I am wondering once its published by asset group to our portal, can I:

1) Bring the published service into pro and apply definition query/ custom attribute expression for symbology and "Share as Web Map" and the domains will still show as intended in field maps?

2) Bring the published service into a web map and apply a custom attribute expression for symbology and the domains will still show as intended in field maps?

Thanks for all the help!!

0 Kudos
rlyding
New Contributor III

@maiam To answer your questions. 

1) Bring the published service into pro and apply definition query/ custom attribute expression for symbology and "Share as Web Map" and the domains will still show as intended in field maps?

Yes, you can do this and domains will work. This is what I did to initially establish my UN collection web maps. You can set custom symbology using arcade expressions or normal symbology methods and also set definition queries. A few things to keep in mind if you go this route. If you are configuring Forms for Field Maps this will still need to be done on portal web map and can't be setup in Pro. In the future if you make changes in Pro and "Share as Web Map" it will override/delete any Forms you have setup on the web. So normally I use Pro once to get a baseline web map and then setup my Field Maps Form(s) on web and then going forward everything is managed on web.

2) Bring the published service into a web map and apply a custom attribute expression for symbology and the domains will still show as intended in field maps?

Yes, this will work and you will still get domains. This is also where you can build your Form used in Field Maps.

There are a few other quirks to look out for. In Field Maps no matter what you do to your symbology in the map in Pro or on web map it will use the feature templates that are setup on the original published feature service. That is something to keep in mind when publishing up your collection services and you may want to plan ahead a bit to make sure you have the feature templates you need for collection. As always test what you have setup in your web map in Field Maps. I have run into weird behavior with labels, popups, and feature templates working perfectly fine in the web map, but not always working in Field Maps properly.

Here is how my UN valve collection is currently symbolized. The feature service was published up symbolized by asset group. I then set custom symbology arcade expressions and def query on the web map. If you have anymore questions let me know.

Screenshot 2024-06-25 112107.png

maiam
by
New Contributor II

@rlyding thank you so much for your detailed response. This is beyond helpful for me 🙂 ! I will do some testing with the info you've provided.

0 Kudos
KateY
by
New Contributor II

Hello @rlyding , I was quite amazed on how you set up UN using custom symbology after first published by asset group. Would you be able to share me some detailed steps on how to set custom symbology arcade expressions and def query on the web map.

Many thanks. 

0 Kudos
rlyding
New Contributor III

@KateY Sure, here is an example on how to set it up in a web map.

Select your layer in the web map then on the right you can add in a definition query by clicking in the Filter icon. 

webmap_1.PNG

To setup custom arcade symbology you select the layer style icon on the right and then + Expression here is example arcade for Water Lines classified by ownership and water type. For the statements you can use either a if statement or when statement in this case I used a when statement. The values returned are what your symbol classes will be.

webmap_2.PNG

Here is the arcade I used.

var ag = $feature.ASSETGROUP
var wt = $feature.designtype
var owner = $feature.ownedby

When(ag == 1 && owner != 1, "Main Not OwnedBy County", ag == 2 && owner != 1, "Lateral Not OwnedBy County", wt == 1 && ag == 1, 
"Potable Main", wt == 1 && ag == 2, "Potable Lateral", wt == 7 && ag == 1, "Reclaimed Main", wt == 7 && ag == 2, "Reclaimed Lateral", wt == 4 && ag == 1,
"Raw Main", wt == 4 && ag == 2, "Raw Lateral", wt == 8 && ag == 1, "Reject Main", wt == 8 && ag == 2, "Reject Lateral", null) 

Here are some additional resources.

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-assign-colored-symbols-to-attributes-using-arca...

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/set-custom-expressions-for-sy... 

You can also use arcade expressions for labels. 

maiam
by
New Contributor II

Thank you @rlyding ! I've done some testing and looks like we're on the right path with things showing as we want in Field Maps. Your detailed response has really helped us 🙂

0 Kudos